Trip to British Isles

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Trip to British Isles

Postby gatorblue » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:12 am

I'm headed to Britain, Scotland, and Ireland in March with my wife. While I'm there, I'd love to sit in with some local blues musicians. While I've done this in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Memphis, I've never been to Europe before.

Do any of you live there, have contacts there, or able to give me any advice?

--Gator
gatorblue
Regular

Re: Trip to British Isles

Postby stumblin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:27 am

I run two acoustic blues sessions each month here in Sheffield: First Wednesday in the month at The Bath Hotel, third Thursday in the month at The Red Deer. You'd be very welcome to join in.
That's assuming that you'll opt for the beautiful scenery of Central Sheffield, rather than the more obviously touristic attractions of the Scottish Highlands & Islands :lol:
stumblin
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:56 pm

In defense of selecting Sheffield as a holiday destination - you won't find better Ale anywhere than around there.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:37 pm

What dates, what part of the UK? Swanage (south coast) has a festival 4/5/6 March. Open mic 3 afternoons at Red Lion, electric jams at the White Horse, Sat/Sun afternoons. Almost entirely free gigs. Small town, so any accommodation is close to the centre, and at that time of year is easily and affordably available.

I'm in Birmingham, Lummo, Jakey, they'll tell you I jam anywhere anytime with anyone.

There are pubs with live music in the area, open mics. We run one on the last Thursday of the month local to me.

If you have the misfortune to find yourself in the sprawl of London, there are open mics and gigs there.

Glasgow, pm Jakey Vimto for details. Looks like a good scene up there.

Do you go on Facebook? I have video from Swanage on my page.

Happy hunting, and remember, the traffic goes the other way, be careful crossing the road. I nearly ended up flat in Denmark once because i forgot which side they drive.

Send me a pm if you're heading this way.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:48 pm

maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues