A Bit of Advice With A LP Studio

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

A Bit of Advice With A LP Studio

Postby Bant's Bluz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:46 am

So I've got this LP studio and want to play fretted notes as well as slide. I was told that I could detune and then turn the thumb wheels under the bridge an equal amount and that would give me some degree of raising the action. So a couple of questions beg themselves;

1. Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
2. It would appear that the thumb wheels should be turned clockwise. My plan is to mark them and move them simultaneously a max of three turns (three complete revolutions).

I'm very open to any and all feed back, even if it involves a different approach.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: A Bit of Advice With A LP Studio

Postby jaybee » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:32 pm

that's the way to raise the action, just don't forget that raising action will throw off intonation, so check that - best thing to do is raise just a bit so you can play slide with a light touch, but don't have intonation problems when fretting
jaybee
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:59 am

Thank Brother. Your advice is most appreciated. I'd already thought about intonation issues.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby texas blues » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:22 am

As an owner of more than one LP, unless notes are fretting out due to overly low action or you have an anvil for a slide, I don't see the need for raising action to accommodate slide playing.
texas blues
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:05 pm

My main slide guitar is a Les Paul. If you're using the standard light gauge strings, the first thing to do is put on heavier ones (I use .011s & open E). Better sound on the treble strings, easier to play with a slide.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby straightblues » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:23 am

Yeah, you might not have to raise the action at all. If you are going to raise the thumb wheels you are going to want to take a measurment from the bottom of the bridge to the face of the guitar. It will be easier than getting three turns on the thumb wheels. Like others have said, once you start moving the bridge up and down, you will need to reset the intonation.
straightblues
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Sorry for the late "thank you's", I've been out of sorts.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues