song - anyone like to help?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

song - anyone like to help?

Postby shaw » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Hello fellow blues-enthousiasts,

I've been playing around for a while (trying to get a little better at that Blind Blake-type acoustic playing...hard, but fun) and came up with a simple blues in C (well, in E, I use a capo at the fourth fret).

My wife was kind enough to help out and sing it - but does not really have a lot with this kind of music. I was just wondering if anyone would like to have a try - I'd love to hear it with a more blues-type voice. It's just for fun, but if anyone would like to, I'd be happy to post lyrics and a version without the vocals. Also - harmonica would be fun, if anyone has the interest or time (I can't sing or play harmonica, I keep trying but it never seems to work).

Well, here is the song at any rate- "Slow Changing Blues"
http://www.folkblues.nl/slow-blues.mp3

On my Larrivee OM-03 and an old washboard.
shaw
Regular

Re: song - anyone like to help?

Postby texas blues » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:46 am

Don't change a damn 'thang with that song! Your gal's voice was perfect for the style. Forget the harp. It would just clutter up the tune and distract from the perfect simplicity of the song. It fo' sho' ain't broke...so don't go tryin' teh fix it! Well done amigo.
texas blues
Regular

Postby shaw » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:27 am

Hey, thanks for listening and the kind words. I do like how she sang it, but sometimes I get a chance to play with other singers and it's always fun to hear how diffent things can sound. But, I probably will just keep it this way - maybe if we do a few more she will start getting more into it. It is fun, I love old acoustic blues.

Thanks again.
shaw
Regular

Postby s1120 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Nice!!! I think she gives it a nice 20's-30's era blues flavor. I would not change a thing!!
s1120
Regular

Postby TutwilerBluesTrain » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Man, that is fantastic! Great pickin, great vocal.
TutwilerBluesTrain
Regular

Return to Recording