New from South Africa

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

New from South Africa

Postby Singemonkey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:13 am

Had some trouble registering but I've finally made it.

I'm in Cape Town, South Africa. I play guitar (sigh). I've only become serious about blues guitar recently. I'm trying to build my skills in order to start a duo with a piano player doing mostly Chicago blues - mixing originals with covers.

I'm trying to figure out when I'm ready. Trying to work out what that means. Also to learn what to look for in a piano player, and what it will take to work with one (who will probably have better formal music knowledge than I do).

Although with that project I intend to play Freddie/Albert KIng, P. Green, Clapton style guitar and sing with the piano holding down most of the rhythm work, I'm also interested in delta blues and bottleneck.

Artists I love:

Furry Lewis
Gus Cannon
Peter Green
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker
Robert Johnson
Bukka White
Eric Clapton (early guitar playing)
Freddie King
Mississippi Fred MacDowell

...and others.

I'm active on the South African Guitar Forum, the Tokai Forum, and Mylespaul under the same name. I'm not exclusively into blues, but I do love it and want to play it for the feeling it can bring, rather than just as a platform for improvisation - which seems to be how some people view it.
Singemonkey
Regular

Re: New from South Africa

Postby rustyslide » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Tokaiforum represent! *internet high five*

... I own a Greco, though.

PS: Welcome!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Singemonkey » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:04 pm

Gorgeous guitar Rustyslide. Nice to know there are a few MIJ guitar nuts on this forum. And you've gotta love the plaintop Les Pauls. I bought this one almost entirely for playing blues. It plays as good as it looks :) :

Singemonkey
Regular

Postby chaben » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi I'm Charles and I'm new to this forum.....

----------------------------------------------------
http://www.google.com
chaben
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Singemonkey wrote:Gorgeous guitar Rustyslide. Nice to know there are a few MIJ guitar nuts on this forum.

I have a Fender Japan '54 RI, too. Tokai-made, I think, since it's a 2005 'CIJ' model.

And you've gotta love the plaintop Les Pauls. I bought this one almost entirely for playing blues. It plays as good as it looks :)

Yeah! Which model is it? I put a phase switch in mine for the neck pickup, for the Peter Green sound.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Singemonkey » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 am

It's a 2009 LS150. So an LS160 in today's lineup.
Singemonkey
Regular

Return to A Bit About You