Not new - just born again!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Not new - just born again!

Postby rookie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi fellas

It's been a while... Let's see, I started off harpin' and then got myself a keyboard and a guitar, and some surprisingly good initial progress on those two pushed the harp somewhat down the list of priorities sadly. Anyway, then a promotion, moving house, one or two girlfriends in foreign countries (it suits me as a commitmentphobe, haha) and a sudden desire to modify cars kinda put the dampers on all my musical desires, pretty much for the last four years or so.

BUT... I was over in Dallas on business in late August (I'm from the UK) and flew out a bit earlier than necessary and spent four days driving to and from the Delta (1700 miles in all), accompanied by the appropriate Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi blues on the car stereo/iPod as I headed to and through the sites of interest. Was all going without incident and then I found myself in Holly Ridge, where Mr Patton now lies. Sat on his grave listening to Down the Dirt Road Blues on the iPod, and was surprised to find it such an emotionally charged experience. Later that day, I ended up in Greenwood at Robert Johnson's "last resting place" and as I sat under the pecan tree listening to his whole back catalogue, I knew what I wanted to do with my life!

So having been back a month or so, I've been practicing harp and guitar just about every single night. It's so frustrating that when you're at your most fervent, your fingertips can't hold to their side of the bargain, and that I'm having to relearn tongueblocking all over again, but that looks like it's all good now. I doubt I'll ever become 'great' on either instrument, or even dare to play in public, but as long as I can play a couple of tunes, I can die happy. So even though I'm still pretty crap, I think I might need a name change now - anyone know if it's possible to do this without setting up a new account?

Oh yeah, and stay tuned for more of the inane questions that characterised my earlier appearances :lol: And good to see some of the old names still around too...
Last edited by rookie on Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Not new - just born again!

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:28 am

Where in UK are you? Swanage blues festival 1/2/3 Oct. No big names but a lot of good players and singers. Look out for the red leather jacket if you manage to get there.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Not new - just born again!

Postby rookie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:37 am

I'm in the Deep South, but a displaced Geordie(ish). Yeah, I'm gonna be in Turkey next week with another one of those foreign girlfriends unfortunately. Or fortunately, however you want to look at it :P
rookie
Contributor
Contributor

Return to A Bit About You