Strat Bridge single coil

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Strat Bridge single coil

Postby rossfloss » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:03 pm

I currently have custom shop 69's in the neck and middle position and an SSL-5 in the bridge. I do like the SSL-5 but I kind of want to try something new. I realize putting another 69 in the bridge will sound great, but I am looking for something a bit hotter. Does anyone have any recommendations?
rossfloss
Regular

Re: Strat Bridge single coil

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:21 pm

A Texas Special. They're real hot for a single coil and sound great.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby birddog » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:29 am

Might want to try a "Muy Grande"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

No affiliation with the seller, just had good luck and no problems when I bought my Tele "Tallboy" set from them and their prices are about as good as you can get.
I'm building a complete new loaded pick gaurd assy and using one of these for my bridge position. I'll also be using a Tallboy for the neck and posibly a Halfbreed for the middle, just haven't decided yet.
You can find more info and hear sound clips and see pro enddoresments on the Rio website.
http://www.riograndepickups.com/
birddog
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:52 am

Imo amp affects the sound way more than a nother similar pickup

I personally use 54 custom shop in one Strat and Lace sensors in another-- I don;t care for Texas special

If you want a bit of gain try a Pearly Gates
goldbrick
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:07 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:A Texas Special. They're real hot for a single coil and sound great.

I agree the texas specials are without a doubt a fantastic pickup. I used to have an Am strat with texas specials. I found that they were not quite as versatile as I would have liked though. They cannot be beat if you're going for that classic texas spank sound but I also play a lot of jazz and funk.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:15 pm

goldbrick wrote:Imo amp affects the sound way more than a nother similar pickup

I personally use 54 custom shop in one Strat and Lace sensors in another-- I don;t care for Texas special

If you want a bit of gain try a Pearly Gates

I agree. Amplifiers do greatly affect the sound of your guitar which is why I am an amp nut with way more amplifiers than I need. As we all know though, through a great amp, your sound will vary drastically depending on the guitar and pickup used.

I used to have a lonestar strat with texas specials and a pearly gates in the bridge and imo the pearly gates was too trebly and a bit abrasive. I'm probably biased though because I don't like humbuckers in strats period.

My buddy has the 54 custom shops and I think they sound great. Just not the tone I'm looking for. Not a fan of the lace sensors though, not stratty enough for me, but that's all just personal preference.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:21 pm

birddog wrote:Might want to try a "Muy Grande"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

No affiliation with the seller, just had good luck and no problems when I bought my Tele "Tallboy" set from them and their prices are about as good as you can get.
I'm building a complete new loaded pick gaurd assy and using one of these for my bridge position. I'll also be using a Tallboy for the neck and posibly a Halfbreed for the middle, just haven't decided yet.
You can find more info and hear sound clips and see pro enddoresments on the Rio website.
http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Thank you much Birddog! I remember hearing about these Rio Grande pickups on this forum before (I think from you actually) but I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder because I'm thinking they are what I am going for. What is the vintage tallboy like? I realize it's not as hot as the muy grande but with a resistance of 7.2 it's still hotter than the custom 69's I have in the neck and middle so it may complement them better. So I guess I'm torn between the vintage tallboy and the muy grande.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby birddog » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 am

Can't tell ya that for a Strat Ross. I put them in the Tele and I couldn't have made a better first choice. So I don't need to mess with any pickup swapping. They sound vintage like but better. Maybe slightly less twang and a little hotterwith a tad bit of grit if cranked a little.
So impressed I thought I'd change out the cheap pickup I started with in the Strat, Actually like the tallboys and may go with them in the neck and middle just toying with this in my mind before making a decision. I'm gonna email shoestring and see if they will do a 3 pickup price for me soon to get this started.
birddog
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues