Need Blues Harp Instruction Material

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Need Blues Harp Instruction Material

Postby MakaInOz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 am

No, not another newb.....

I was given a 48 Chord Compact harmonica for Fathers Day. Wow, what a beast: two decks, hinged in the middle with 12 blow and 12 draw chords on each deck (4 holes per chord). 13" long. Layout is:

Gb Db Ab Eb Bb F C G D A E B
Db7 Ab7 Eb7 Bb7 F7 C7 G7 D7 A7 E7 B7 F#7

F#m7 C#m7 Abm7 Ebm7 Bbm7 Fm Cm Gm Dm Am Em Bm
C#aug G#dim7 Ebaug Bbdim7 Bbaug Cdim7 Gaug Ddim7 Aaug Edim7 Eaug F#dim7

I've only played diatonics and figured that this is laid out around the circle of fifths. Other than that, I'm lost.

Anybody know of any instructional material on how to drive this thing?
MakaInOz
Regular

Re: Need Blues Harp Instruction Material

Postby gheumann » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:05 am

I don't, but the place to ask is http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/ - that's where most of the old school dudes hang out. Chord harp is COOL!!!
gheumann
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks Greg - I'll check them out.

I found "The CHUGGER'S Manual for 48 Chord Harmonica" at JL Dyer Music - its the only thing I've been able to track down, so I've ordered it. Not sure how long it will take to swim the Pacific, but this is looking like a real long term project.
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:14 pm

holy cow!!that's a heck of a present.wish i was near to hear it.good luck.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby MakaInOz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:12 am

Bottleneck,

While the Hohner 48 Chords are unreal prices (around $2,500 here), this one is a Swan (Chinese). Build quality seems pretty good (plastic combs) and I am quite happy with it. It was an eBay special - $185 with free post, so between three kids and the missus it wasn't too excessive as a Fathers Day present.

I'm having fun trying to learn which chords are where and how to hit them exactly - it makes for some unusual noises when you get parts of two adjoining chords in error. To minimise the loss of 'wind', you use your top lip to block the top 4 holes when drawing on the bottom four holes, and your bottom lip to block the lower four holes when blowing the top four. Its absolutely NOTHING like driving a diatonic!

I'm hoping the Chuggers Manual (which is on its way from JL Dyer) will help make a bit more sense of it all. In the mean time, the cocker spaniel has decided the chord is much better to sing a long with than the diatonics are.
MakaInOz
Regular

Return to Blues Harp