Might buy a new 12-string - need advice

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Might buy a new 12-string - need advice

Postby bignick » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey guys, I know it has been awhile. I'm a daddy now and I've been running around like crazy for the last 3 months. Well...actually the last 12 months as most of you already know that the first 9 aren't exactly calm either. :lol:

Anyways..I've hardly touched a guitar and have been playing mando. Today I wandered in to my local shop and they had an old late 70s early 80s Yamaha 12-string with a slot headstock. The Yamaha FG312. I haven't had a 12-string since 2002 and have wanted a beater.

It is an all laminate instrument but it is solid and is REALLY loud. I was impressed. The action is kind of high as the instrument has started to belly on the top. You can tell that it had not been tuned half-step down with a capo and had been left strung in standard for quite awhile. The action could be lowered at the saddle and nut and a quarter-turn adjustment to the truss rod should bring it back. Everything else is solid.

Does anyone have any experience with this line of acoustic?

Here is one I found online. Harmony Central gives solid reviews. This one went for $60. It is on consignment for $100. What should I offer the guy?

http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemTitle=yamaha-fg-312&itemNumber=YAM9082
bignick
Regular

Re: Might buy a new 12-string - need advice

Postby tinsmith » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:57 am

sounds like it's worth the 100 bucks.

I used to play Kottke stuff on a Yamaha beater....it was good until it went back to unplayable. It was a gift...

Still sound like it's worth the 100.

What a hundred now a days????

nothin.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:42 pm

I have a FG-260. Good guitar, if you judge that one to be good, buy it.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:07 pm

I had a Yamaha 12 string (can't remember the model) come into the shop for a restring and a set-up a few months ago, and I loved the sound. It was in desperate need of a neck reset, though, so the action wasn't all that friendly, but open-G with a slide sounded awesome. It was quite loud.

I've been pretty happy with my '69 GIbson B-25 12, but I need to do some work on it. It has an adjustable saddle which is doing a lovely job of robbing a significant amount of sound. I keep it tuned down to somewhere around B. Sounds huge. Only paid $599 shipped with a nice TKL hardshell case, too.

guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues