Electric guitar strings

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Electric guitar strings

Postby rossfloss » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:05 pm

For the longest time I could never figure out why strat bridges always made the guitar go out of tune when the whammy bar was used. I then realized the solution was simple. For those of you that don't know I'll briefly explain. Strat bridges are made to be equipped with Fender Bullet strings. The "bullet" end on the strings is made to fit perfectly inside the channels on the bridge. You'll notice brands like Ernie Ball and D'Addario have a ring at the end of the strings which does not properly sit in fender bridges.

My question is are there any other string brands which have that bullet style end, or something similar?
rossfloss
Regular

Re: Electric guitar strings

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:17 pm

That's not the reason that Strats go out of tune, at all. I own two Strats, both set up with D'Adarrio 10's, and neither of mine ever go out of tune; even with gratuitous use of the whammy bar. It sounds like your guitar could benefit from a proper setup. The problem, more than likely, is that your tremolo assembly is not returning to it's proper position after use of the bar or after bending.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:03 pm

To be fair it is the reason a lot of strats go out of tune. In some cases not as bad as others and in other cases there's no problem at all like yourself. I'm not going to sit here and argue about it though. I've owned three strats, one MIM, and two made in USA, and two of them had the problem.

The one that didn't have the problem was an Am. strat which did allow for strings like d'addarios to sit in the bridge properly after a bit of tugging, but I sold that one because I did not like the bridge humbucker or the neck size and restringing it was a royal pain in the ass because even though the strings sat in the bridge properly it was a problem and a half getting them out due to the snugness.

Ended up selling the other Am. strat for monetary reasons and I currently only own the MIM strat which has been setup twice and still had the problem until i started using fender bullets.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:58 pm

It's hard to say what could be causing tuning problems on a strat. There are so many little spots the strings can bind (tuning posts, nut slots, bridge saddles, the point where they pass through the block, and the block itself), and all it takes is one little burr on any of those points to become a tuning nightmare.

But if the strings are fixing the problem for you, that's great! It's lovely when simple solutions pop up. I'm not sure that any other companies make strings with those ends, though. Not sure that Fender wants anyone else to undercut them.

It may be possible to craft some sort of small, plastic insert that would fit around a standard ball end string and allow it to fit snugly like the bullet end...in fact, that'd be a lovely little device to design and market. I think a lot of strat players would be all over that kind of thing.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 pm

Wasn't the Fender Strat invented many years before there were Bullet strings.
I guess before bullet strings everyone played out of tune. :wha: :blink: :wha:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 pm

BobHolland wrote:Wasn't the Fender Strat invented many years before there were Bullet strings.
I guess before bullet strings everyone played out of tune. :wha: :blink: :wha:

Quoth the Fender website: http://www.fender.com/uk/support/stratocaster.php

No matter what gauge of strings you use, for the best tuning stability we recommend using Fender Bullet® strings. The patented bullet-end is specifically designed for all styles of tremolo use, from extreme dives to smooth vibrato passages. The design allows the string to travel freely in the bridge block channel during tremolo use and return afterwards to its original position, seated snugly in the bridge block. This is accomplished by eliminating the extra string wrap and the ball-end (the ball end doesn't fit properly into the string channel). The bullet end has been shaped and sized to match the design of the bridge block channel.

As I said before. Slipping out of tune due to vibrato use is not a problem with all strats but can be for some. And for the record, I don't think the strat was invented many years before the Bullet strings. Fender Bullet strings have been around since the 1950's.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:56 am

I don't know much.
I'm just an old bass player & my 4 strings are 45-100.
:)
BobHolland
Regular

Postby zhyla » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:28 pm

rossfloss wrote:Quoth the Fender website: http://www.fender.com/uk/support/stratocaster.php

No matter what gauge of strings you use, for the best tuning stability we recommend using Fender Bullet® strings.

Wow, Fender recommends that strat owners buy their strings? That's a news flash.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby rossfloss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:17 pm

zhyla wrote:
rossfloss wrote:Quoth the Fender website: http://www.fender.com/uk/support/stratocaster.php

No matter what gauge of strings you use, for the best tuning stability we recommend using Fender Bullet® strings.

Wow, Fender recommends that strat owners buy their strings? That's a news flash.

I was waiting for someone to make that wise comment. Clearly companies are going to endorse their own products. We know this. The description of the design behind the Fender Bullet strings is what I am trying to highlight here.

@BobHolland That makes me happy because the world needs more bassists!
rossfloss
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Now if this old guy could find a band to make some noise with, that would be a good thing too.
At 61 the demand for an old guy is just not there in my neck of the woods.
:wha: :blink: :wha:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 am

well if you are in Miami we need a bassie
goldbrick
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:57 pm

I'm up north. North Carolina :lol:
BobHolland
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:05 am

rossfloss wrote:To be fair it is the reason a lot of strats go out of tune.

Sorry, I don't buy it. I've owned five different Strats, I've assembled three of the five and not a single one of them ever had any sort of tuning issues after a proper set up. Can you explain to me how exactly the different end on a string will keep a guitar in tune better than another? The strings do not move once they are properly strung through the block and around the tuners; they simply change tension. Again, if the tension doesn't return to the proper places, then that's a problem with the set up and not with the ball end of the strings.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:33 am

leftyguitarman wrote:
rossfloss wrote:To be fair it is the reason a lot of strats go out of tune.

Sorry, I don't buy it. I've owned five different Strats, I've assembled three of the five and not a single one of them ever had any sort of tuning issues after a proper set up. Can you explain to me how exactly the different end on a string will keep a guitar in tune better than another? The strings do not move once they are properly strung through the block and around the tuners; they simply change tension. Again, if the tension doesn't return to the proper places, then that's a problem with the set up and not with the ball end of the strings.

haha, you don't have to buy it. All is well.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:50 am

NC huh-I guess thats too long a ride for a 3 hour gig
goldbrick
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues