Perhaps the best-ever cover for bringing home a new guitar

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Perhaps the best-ever cover for bringing home a new guitar

Postby hollywoodmark » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:02 pm

Don't know if this is the right place for this post, but y'all will enjoy it nonetheless.

As I sheepishly stepped out of my car Friday night armed with, yes, another guitar--fearing my wife's wrath--my neighbor pulled up with a new toy as well: a new Maserati. No kidding. My wife looked at it, looked at my guitar, and hugged me. I thanked my neighbor profusely. If I'd known, though, I would've come home with a $2000 Les Paul rather than my cheap though beautiful used Danelectro U2.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Re: Perhaps the best-ever cover for bringing home a new guitar

Postby texas blues » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Nice! Thankfully mrs. blues thinks all my guitars look alike and I no longer have to hide new guitars under the guest room bed.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:33 pm

I should get to know my neighbors better. :D
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hollywoodmark » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:18 pm

Exactly. The secret is to coordinate purchases; each guy on the block takes the fall (buys the biggest-ticket item) in rotation.

Next time, it's me who buys the Maserati. 'Though i'd rather have the Paul.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby 1four5 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:27 am

My x would have smashed the guitar over my head and asked where her new Maserati was. I'm not kidding. They key letter in this story is "x"
1four5
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:06 am

Hahaha. This made my day. If only your neighbor knew the thrills of a guitar greatly outweigh those of a car. He would have bought a 59 Les Paul with the money!
rossfloss
Regular

Postby stumblin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:39 am

Bring it home while she's out, stand it with the others, say nothing.
The female brain cannot perceive any differences between the look or sound of any two guitars, and they consider themselves above such mundane tasks as conducting weekly guitar censuses.
stumblin
Regular

Postby texas blues » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:38 pm

stumblin wrote:Bring it home while she's out, stand it with the others, say nothing.
The female brain cannot perceive any differences between the look or sound of any two guitars, and they consider themselves above such mundane tasks as conducting weekly guitar censuses.

True for the most part but mrs. blues would notice something if all of a sudden I had a Pearly Gates R9.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:31 pm

would only work if I'd buy them all in exactly the same color - that's how my GF differentiates guitars: the red one, the blue one, the ugly brown one...
jaybee
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:30 pm

You guys sure make me feel good about my better half.

stumblin wrote:The female brain cannot perceive any differences between the look or sound of any two guitars

More evidence Dearly Beloved is a tomboy, I guess. Next you'll tell me women don't like killing aliens in Halo.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby 1four5 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Not only did my x-wife know my guitars, she knew the VALUE of each. The day I came home from work, and found my $2.5K limited edition gold trimmed Les Paul professional had been hocked at the pawn shop for $650, and the money already spent, was the beginning of the end for "us". At the time I was playing my Tele regular and haden't used the LP for several months. her reply was " You never played it, I didn't think you'd miss it anyways". To this day, of the half century I've been on this planet, that was the maddest I've ever been. Ever. I guess I'm not a murderer, because that woulda been it. :blink:
1four5
Regular

Postby s1120 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:41 am

1four5 wrote:Not only did my x-wife know my guitars, she knew the VALUE of each. The day I came home from work, and found my $2.5K limited edition gold trimmed Les Paul professional had been hocked at the pawn shop for $650, and the money already spent, was the beginning of the end for "us". At the time I was playing my Tele regular and haden't used the LP for several months. her reply was " You never played it, I didn't think you'd miss it anyways". To this day, of the half century I've been on this planet, that was the maddest I've ever been. Ever. I guess I'm not a murderer, because that woulda been it. :blink:

WOOOOOOOO dude!!!!!!!!!!!! That would have SOOOOOOO been the end!!!!!! In my book, marryed or not, thats outright theft!!! Franky I dont care if its a 3k LP, or a $49.99 china strat copy... thats utter theft, and disrespect. Glad to hear the "X" part. :D
s1120
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:56 pm

slightly different angle here. i'm the harp guy, wife is the guitarist. every time she's said "i want a new guitar" i've shown much interest, and if we could afford it i've given my blessing, helped shop for one, lent what knowledge and experience (damn little!) to the process. and we've gotten her 3 nice guitars in about the last 3 years. she knows how to find a great deal usually, it's been more a matter of deciding what specs she wants. an american standard tele is several hundred$
more than a mexican but she wanted an american- until i got a MIM in her hands and plugged in. then, once she'd fallen in love with the MIM idea, we left the store and she found a brand new one- in her color- online, for about $100 less than the store price on the same guitar.
previous to this, she'd fallen in love with an epi emperor regent, nice big jazz body with a humbucker. store wanted $700 for the last one, a smudged scratched store demo. i was ready to just get the thing and she said no. came home and found one, brand new, for $350 plus shipping.
last year she was looking at vintage parlor guitars for slide work. found one on fleabay, told me she was going to bid $100 for it. i told her to bid $104.50. she won by a buck or 2!

all this has led to her okaying me getting some much better harps. suzuki is selling the manji these days and i am building a set, one at a time, for my gig case. they are a few bucks more than the average harp but well worth it so far.

in recent months, something i did on stage inspired her enough to offer to get me a Harrison B radical harp. look it up, amazing harp. total bill near $200. for one harp. she never blinked.

mics is another story. i have bought a couple or 3 in recent years, one i got for $50. it needed serious mods, and i spent $140 to get it how i wanted it with a pro mic builder. again, she okayed it, with reservations. i think she still feels like i spent way too much for a mic over all, but it's exactly what i wanted and it sees a lot of use out live. and looking on fleabay, i could have dropped $300 or more for something vintage with all the bells and whistles. i know harp guys who have a dozen or more mics, most of which never see the smoky light of a live stage.

next i am thinking- next year at least- find her a somewhat bigger amp for her tele. i figure it like this: i support her aspirations with good gear, and she'll keep supporting some of my crazy ideas re harp stuff. like a nice delay pedal. or a holmes harp commander.

you guitar guys get in a lot deeper cost-wise.
jbone1
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Glad to hear the "X" part.

Me to! 8)
I have since found a wonderfull bride who supports my music and bands. She is a seemstress and photographer, so that makes things easier. For every banjo or guitar I get, she gets a sewing machine or camera :mrgreen:
1four5
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:16 pm

jbone1 wrote:[...]
mics is another story.
[...]
next i am thinking- next year at least- find her a somewhat bigger amp for her tele.

Get her a mic and a PA... ;)
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Blues