Bshman/Nady Torpedo mic plus and minus

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Bshman/Nady Torpedo mic plus and minus

Postby jbone1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:18 pm

i got a deal for one of these when elmore at bushman discontinued them. it's a chrome bullet shell with vents machined around the barrel of the shell, inside is a low-z dynamic element, most likely something close to a vocal mic element. the up side is, well, it looks pretty cool, similar to a jt30. down side is it just doesn't put out a lot of oomph. probably depending on who sets the channel in a p.a. can determine a lot about volume, effects, etc, but the times i've had it out to sit in with folks it's never really done a satisfactory job of getting my sound out there.

i'm considering a couple of different options for this mic. one is to just sell it. another is to put s more responsive low-z element in it so it will still serve for plugging into a p.a. when i don't feel like lugging and amp to a jam or to sit in with someone. thirdly, i'm thinking why not get a good crystal or cm element and totally rework this shell into a killer mic for tube amp? in fact i think i've got a shure ceramic element around here someplace.

the mic has an xlr connector now so it would have to go and a screw-on or something else to replace that. i'd also put a volume pot in it. but this is all time and money i may not want to spend.

i currently have a few really great harp mics, a 707a with 99b86 element, a ruskin custom with a great crystal element, and a greg heumann-modded e-v military mic with a dynamic element inside that puts out a lot of good stuff. i also have a shure 545s and several vocal mics plus an sm57, which some of these plug into a p.a. and put out very well indeed for harp.

i am also considering doing a totally unique frankenstein mic out of an aluminum shell that was not intended as a shell at all but is tooled for both a connector and a volume pot. a hot element in it wnd i think i'd have a winner mic that people would just want to drool over.

back to topic, if you had a situation like this, what would you do with a Torpedo mic? and no i don't really need a paper weight!

thanks guys.
jbone1
Regular

Re: Bshman/Nady Torpedo mic plus and minus

Postby MakaInOz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:43 am

Jbone,

From where I sit there's three questions:
Do you see yourself using the Torpedo ‘as is’?
Do you need something ‘better’ than the SM57 (or your other vocal mics) to go direct into the PA?
Do you enjoy ‘fiddling’ with mic internals and feel an overwhelming urge to create a Frankenmic based on the Torpedo shell with a hot element and a VC?

If ‘no’ to all three, sell it as is!
MakaInOz
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:36 pm

If you like the feel of it as well, then I'd keep it and mod it. If you don't like the feel, I'd jus' sell it, or shelve it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby angerboy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:09 am

It's pretty cool looking. If it was mine, I'd get a quote from Greg and start saving up some dough. If I was going into the PA, I'd use an SM57.
angerboy
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:10 am

anger, i'm actually considering an sm57 element to replace whatever the p-o-s is that's in the mic.

the shell is typical pot metal, the chrome is nice. it came with a screw on mount for a mic stand which the mic just sits in also. the cable i got with it was junk, an xlr to 1/4" jack which had screws missing, but for what i paid i can live with that. still, a mod to high-z would nicely eliminat the xlr all together.
jbone1
Regular

Postby gheumann » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Most people agree the mic isn't very satisfying out of the box. I've modded several for customers though - and if you look at it as the price you have to pay to get a very cool and unique shell, so be it. Once you put a good CM or CR in there, with a gasket that seats it so that the rear of the slots is open to the rear of the element and the front is open to the front, you get the most dynamic "wah" effects - it is very cool that way. Take out the XLR and put a screw-on connector in. The old shells were dull in finish and I would buff them to a high shine -but it would tarnish if not looked after. The new ones are indeed plated and don't need any help to stay shiny. However the XLR connector housing is now all one piece - so shortening it means turning the whole thing in the lathe and cutting some off of that barrel. That is a little risky but can be done. Or it can be left at its present length. There is room for an internal VC if you want one.
gheumann
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:45 pm

one thing that crossed my mind was to use a low profile tubing cutter to shorten that barrel for the xlr. i think i could take it down to about 1/2 its current length.
i'm still very up in the air about this one. wife thinks i have "enough mics" whatever that means!
another idea is to find a better low z element, like one from a sm57 or 58. and add a volume pot as well. wonder if a digi delay with low-z would fatten the sound up some?
jbone1
Regular

Return to Blues Harp