Do I need protools or what?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Do I need protools or what?

Postby bluesmandan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:56 pm

Hello all. I've done some home recording, and am really looking at getting a Protools setup. Do any of you have experience with Protools? What kind of USB interface do you recommend? Right now I'm just lining out from one of my amps to my mic jack on my laptop, or using the built in audio mic on my laptop. The sound editing I've done with Audacity (free software). The sound is okay, but certainly not professional... a little static here and there, and a little background hiss. Some people have used the Line 6 Pod. And some people use Garageband or Audition... but I understand that Protools is the industry standard. So I'm looking at getting Protools with a USB interface and a decent studio mic (maybe a USB studio mic?)

You can hear what I've done so far at...
www.myspace.com/bluesmandan76
bluesmandan
Regular

Re: Do I need protools or what?

Postby zhyla » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:50 pm

Some (all?) USB interfaces suffer from latency issues when you're listening to the "monitor" (processed) output while playing. My uncle switched from a USB audio device to a FirePod for this reason.

Line6's Toneport line (I forget what they're calling them now... POD Farm Studio?) don't suffer from the latency issue even though they are USB. Not sure how they do it, the processing is done on the box itself? Not sure. I have a UX2 model, I've been very happy with it. But I don't do any serious recording.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby rustyslide » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:48 am

The scratchiness you're hearing is probably not Audacity's fault, but from the limitations of your hardware.

If you've got a Mac, it should have Garageband on it already. I'd use that over Audacity in a heartbeat. If you don't have a Mac, well, Garageband isn't going to work. I'd run an electric guitar straight into my Mac and use the great software amps.

I have an M-Audio USB box, which is nice, but the latency can be a problem— go Firewire if you can. It'll probably come with software to try, which might steer you in the right direction. ProTools/Audition/Logic/Cubase are all used by lots of sound engineers.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby watertore » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I have gone through the learning curve. My advice is to first decide what kind of quality you want on your recordings and buy gear accordingly. The difference (price and learning to use the gear) from a decent sounding recording to a nice sounding one is huge and it goes up exponentionally again from a nice one to a professional sounding one. Learning to use gear is essential but even with great skills using the stuff you have will never yeild great results. I have drawn my line with my recording gear quality. I am satified with the level of my gear (samplitude software). The preamps, monitors, studio, soundcard, and mics, are all good enough to produce near professional results. I still am learning to reach this level. A great mic with cheap preamp, or any low end gear in the chain will affect the final product. All pieces are interlinked. This is what makes it all such a challenge. I say buy the best you can and grow into it. Buying low end gear has no resale value and you will end up selling (giving it away) if you are serious about your recordings sounding good. I know because I have done this. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording