mini humbuckers

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

mini humbuckers

Postby rossfloss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:00 pm

what can anybody tell me about mini humbuckers? How are they different from standard humbuckers?
rossfloss
Regular

Re: mini humbuckers

Postby zhyla » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:57 pm

They're smaller :).

I imagine we can make finer wire more easily than we could in the 50's, so we can make pickups smaller if desired.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Sheraton » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:23 am

Zhyla your posts are so helpful and positive......

RossFloss

I have a Firebird and the mini's on the Birds are a very special design. Which is two magnets.

Re: Firebird pickups...I plan to split a firebird pickup in the neck position on a Tele (with a push/pull)

here is why....I found this statement by a well known pickup winder on a board

I just want to comment on the internal workings of a Firebird pup.

They have two magnets - not one shared magnet like the mini humbucker - or full size HB -

Because they have a coil going around the magnet - they are very reminiscent of those early Blues pickups found in the Kay's- Harmony's and Magnatone's. where all you have is a coil wrapped right around a long rectangular bar magnet - I have found that these designs are really fast becoming the more popular designs with the Blues Purist Regime out there -

So inside the Firebird's metal cover are basically two of these early designs with the magnets stood up so its skinny end is up and the flatter 1/2 wide sides are facing the coil - making them a cross between the Charlie Christian Blade & the H-44 Harmonys - ( Strat0tones) - now theres not much room for wire so these Firebirds usually reach about 6.5 or maybe sneak it up to a 7k if they are wound nice an neat...

so inside the cover is two really cool Bluesy pickups - one has its magnets reversed from the other so it "hum-bucks" -

now most of the Kay's - Harmony's - Magnatone's were 3.2k to 4k
so heres these Firebird's really BEGGING to be put on a split switch - and wolla- you'll have a 3.2k to 3.5k single coil bluesy pup from the tone Gods!

because inside are two of the coolest little blues designs ever made!
and splitting them will give you "that Sound" when you want it..
Sheraton
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the very helpful advice. Those firebird humbuckers sound awesome. That's cool how they sound great when coil split. How is their standard humbucking tone? I actually have my eye on the Fender vintage hot rod '52 telecaster. It's got your standard tele bridge single coil and then it has a Seymour Duncan vintage mini humbucker in the neck. It sounds like an incredibly fun pickup arrangement and the most versatile for my musical stylings.

I am thinking the inbetween position might sound a little more like the bridge/middle pickup selection on strats since the split humbucker will be very quiet and the vintage bridge coil will probably have a little more output. If I am right about that then all three of the positions would be perfect for me. I love the spanky/funky texas bluesy sound of the bridge/middle position on strats. I love the smooth, warm, fatness of neck humbuckers and I love the steel sounding twang of the tele bridge pickup.

What do you all think? I am interpretting this tele correctly?
rossfloss
Regular

Postby hollywoodmark » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:10 pm

If I might pile-on here, does anyone know of a good source for replacing mini-humbuckers? I have a hollowbody which, while lovely, is a bit weak in the pickup department. I've found little help on the 'Net locating replacements. Also, the pickup I have is a "floating" humbucker. Does that further limit my choices, or can any mini-humbucker be mounted this way? Thanks!
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:10 pm

hollywoodmark wrote:If I might pile-on here, does anyone know of a good source for replacing mini-humbuckers?

I know GFS sells both mini humbuckers and neck-mount humbuckers.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/nemojapi.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/minihumbuckers.html

Is your floating pickup mounted to the neck or pickguard?
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby hollywoodmark » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Thanks, RS. Mounted to the neck, as there IS no pickguard. I'll check out the links you sent.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 pm

I have a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity Firebird pickups that are currently split between two guitars. The neck pickup resides in my bastard tele, which sounds awesome. It has a very open, almost microphonic tone. Really dynamic, but also bright for a neck pickup. It has some jangly-ness to it, but not as much as a Filtertron

The bridge pickup is bolted into the soundhole of my old Stella parlor guitar, and sounds awesome. Gets into Elmore James territory without any trouble.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues