strings breaking

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

strings breaking

Postby deltablues57 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:44 pm

I have an Epiphone ej200 that seems to have a problem. The D string seems to wear real bad at the 2nd fret. I have played about 1.5 hours on a new set of strings. The winding on the string has worn right thru on the 2nd fret. I have broken several strings at that spot. The fret is smooth no rough spots. I haved gently rubbed it with very fine sandpaper in case there were any burrs I could not feel. The problem is still happening. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?
Thanks...Delta
deltablues57
Regular

Re: strings breaking

Postby texas blues » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:08 pm

If its consistent exactly right on the 2nd fret, a jewelers glass most likely could reveal the culprit.
texas blues
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:33 am

That's bizarre how the fret is smooth and it is doing that. It wouldn't make sense for the problem to be anywhere on the guitar except that fret though.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:42 am

I had a problem, consistently, with the D string at the nut, when I used Elixers. This happened for at least a half a dozen sets. I changed to EXP's & the the problem went away.
I did check it out & there were no burrs, It never happen with any other sets of strings either, so, Elixers it t'was.
Bye-bye....never again.
tinsmith
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues