Intonation problems on a single string

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Intonation problems on a single string

Postby erimb » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:19 am

I've recently started playing round with open tunings a bit on my Sheraton II, and managed to break the high E string while bending.

I replaced it with another string from a different set than I usually use (but with the same gauge, 10), but I've been unable to get proper intonation on that one string in standard tuning.

The fretted note on the high E string is flat, but the movable part of the saddle is at its limit - I can't make the string go any sharper!

I'm not great on guitar setup - any idea what I can do to fix this? Could it mean the neck needs adjusting? Action raising/lowering? Could it be because I used a string from a different set (even if the gauge is the same)? Could leaving my guitar in open tunings have affected anything?
erimb
Regular

Re: Intonation problems on a single string

Postby stumblin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19 am

How old are the other strings?
A brand new string will always sound a bit out of place amongst a worn in set.
I'm no guitar tech either, but some of the other guys here will know the answer to your problem, I'm sure.
stumblin
Regular

Postby erimb » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:35 am

stumblin wrote:How old are the other strings?

They're all a bit old now... The high E is now 2 months old, and the rest of the set about 4 months.

I guess I should replace the whole set, but I noticed that when I got the guitar, the movable bit of the saddle was already as far as it can go - which makes me wonder whether it's more to do with the guitar than strings.

Wish I knew more about this sorta stuff, could do with a cheap guitar to practice on!
erimb
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Since the intonation problem showed up when you installed the new string I would say there is a problem with the string. It happens. I'd just put a new set of strings on there. You might want to go up a gauge as well.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby rossfloss » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm assuming yes but that high E that you put in is sitting on the bridge and the nut properly correct?
I would highly recommend buying a new set of strings of the same gauge and restringing the entire thing. That's the only real way to know for sure if it's a problem with the guitar.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby stumblin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 pm

What they all said.
Plus, go to a set with a 12 for top E.
Minimum.
I have spoken :wha: :blink: :wink:
8) :mrgreen: etc.
stumblin
Regular

Postby erimb » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:44 am

Yup, the high E is seated correctly.

I'll restring it with a set of 10s I've got lying around anyway, seems like the best way to see what's going on.

I *might* go up to 11s someday, but I fear the 12s :)
erimb
Regular

Postby erimb » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:22 am

Well, what do you know - putting on a new set of strings solved the problem.

I'm still confused though, I assumed all 10 strings would be roughly the same, and using one from a different set wouldn't make that much difference.

Ah well :)
erimb
Regular

Postby zhyla » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:00 pm

It may just be that one string was bad.
zhyla
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Blues