Try this at home..

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Try this at home..

Postby houndog » Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:22 pm

Hello,
in my eternal conflict between my inner dolphin and my outside hyena I have come to understand guitar playing on a different plane.

By this I mean I am in the 30 percent of people who do not see information as images or pictures , but rather as concepts.
http://www.neurolinguisticprogramming.com/

I now am at peace with my mathematical view of the fretboard, this trancends race and culture.I am however shite at maths.

I do remain perturbed however with the fact that hyenas are decended from cats ,not dogs.And the female hyena is the Alpha male in evey hyena pack with a corresponding overdose of testosterone.

And so my inner dolphin swims uneasily in the blues.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

RE: Try this at home..

Postby david » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:00 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-03 AT 08:03 PM (EST)]Can you do that with an alternating bass line and a melodic slide riff?

And cool link. Though there are short cuts to the altered states. This guy I used to know named Stephen Gaskin used to teach, well, NEVER MIND. Exactly to the point.

;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:05 am

That neurolinguistics crap's been around for a long time. Back when I was a resident one of the big gurus came to our program to wow us with a demonstration of how understanding this system could enable us communicate far more effectively with our patients, being a step ahead in understanding how they were feeling and responding. We picked out some patients for him to interview that totally bamboozled him, as they did us.
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:01 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-21-03 AT 11:03 PM (EST)]Plato wrote, in the Republic, that if you study music you will be better at math. I can't do math at all (or I would have taken something useful in college) do you think this explains why I can't play worth squat?

Now, the family has gone to bed, I'm going to log off here and go play my resonator a little bit. Maybe I'll be able to balance my check book by morning.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:50 am

Hello,
Rico I sense your inner dolphin swims uneasily with baerrcuder..bakerarooder ...beraakaroo...dammit ....big bitey pointey fish.

David,in a mathematical sense I see three chord shapes as the basis of all playing ie E,C and A.

E becomes barre to F.
C two frets up becomes D.
A two frets down becomes G.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:29 am

>do you think this explains why I can't play worth squat?
>David

David,
In my guitar playing I seek to swim like Jonathan Livingston Seagull and fly like Flicka the dolphin, both are capable of these acts but require courage to act outwith of their comfort zones.

Move out from your isolated late night comfort zone and allow others to understand your diving gull and flying fish.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:50 am

>Plato wrote, in the Republic, that if you study music you
>will be better at math. I can't do math at all (or I would
>have taken something useful in college) do you think this
>explains why I can't play worth squat?
>

Plato was worse than that. He suggested that the Philosopher Kings study music but NEVER TOUCH OR DEAL WITH REAL INSTRUMENTS because the music is just a sneaky way of teaching them the universal forms. Similarly, he suggested that they study astronomy but never actually look at the stars. So the students of music probably played much worse blues than you.

*Phew* BRB forums, just one of many practical uses for a BA.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:17 pm

"Plato was worse than that. He suggested that the Philosopher Kings study music but NEVER TOUCH OR DEAL WITH REAL INSTRUMENTS because the music is just a sneaky way of teaching them the universal forms."

All that makes sense if you accept that this world is but an imperfect reflection of Reality. In the mean time, I figure cultivating a sense of humor about my quality of playing is the best recipe for learning slide as a form of expression.

In the mean time, some (most) folks here may play in a way that conforms to acceptable forms of "good" music, but none of you have more fun with an instrument than I do--except maybe Ricochet with his Johnson, but I'm not going there...

So far I'm just entertaining myself and like it. I don't yet aspire to "wannabe" status.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:53 pm

No, David, you can't go near my Johnson, but I do have fun with it.
ricochet
Regular

Postby cas » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:58 pm

<<In my guitar playing I seek to swim like Jonathan Livingston Seagull and fly like Flicka the dolphin>>

Uh, Houndog honey, Flicka was a horse not a dolphin. Maybe
you're thinking of Flipper?? Just a thought.

Carol
cas

Postby houndog » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:33 pm

Thank you Carol,
I am now further enlightened.
But what was Drooper...?
http://www.dfcom.freeserve.co.uk/hbw/images/hbb5.jpg

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby cas » Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:44 pm

I'm sorry, that sounds too personal for me to answer.

Carol
cas

Postby badfinger » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:56 pm

Cas, why have you got a pic of Kevin Spacey?

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby chillywilly » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:23 am

Ohhh Houndoggie, your inner dolphin is driftin and driftin, on a sea of forgotten teardrops,(sorry, that was my inner Jimi speaking).

Plato Schmato, Neurolinguistics, schmeurolinguistics. Let's talk about hyenas.

In kiSwahili it's pronounced "Hi'-a-na", and like the coyote in the Americas, the hyena is well known as the shape-shifter, the morphodyte, the fool, and the trickster fox. Hyena is Legba personified. When I lived and worked in East equatorial Africa I discovered that the hyena is the source of serious magic. Truly able to change its gender and its form, it visits the bush villages late at night under the swirling stars, and mesmerizes those who are foolish enough to listen to its eerie song. As an example, hyena will come to you as a beautiful black temptress in the night and steal all your goats by morning.

I was often warned not to listen to the song of the hyena. I owned a few goats, and some ducks and chickens as well, so I took heed. Hyenas laugh deliriously at us mere humans, sounding like mad inhabitants of the sanatorium. Have you ever heard the hyena laugh in the African night or the coyote wail under the full moon? Have you seen their glowing eye-shine in the outer dark of the firelight? It is supremely haunting.

I don't make jokes about hyenas or coyotes. That is like dancing with the devil. Neither do we talk about crocodiles until after we have successfully crossed the river, which is another thing I learned in Tanzania.

Just a little thing to put on yer mind.

Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby cas » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:59 am

BF....that's supposedly SRV. I got it from the available avatars. You ain't dissin' SRV are you?

Carol
cas

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!