Seeing Hendrix Perform in '68

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Seeing Hendrix Perform in '68

Postby Bluesrocker » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:09 pm

Hello, all! I haven't posted in awhile but I've got a story for any and all Hendrix fans out there. (Yea, he played the blues and damn good, too!)
Back in '68 (yea, I'm that old, but I still rock) when I was 19 and solidly into the bluesrock revival that exploded on our shores from the U.K. (hey, what did I know at the time? I thought Cream wrote Spoonful) I was really excited to get a $10. ticket to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience live! I grew up in Rhode Island, U.S.A. and the gig was on Mother's Day at a crummy old auditorium (The R.I. Auditorium) in Providence. Man, this place was the pits. It was where you went to see amateur boxing (and I mean amateur) and wrestling matches and it smelled like it, too. So, my buddy and me show up and take our uncomfortable wooden seats and wait for Hendrix. Wow, what a gig! It really was an experience! LOUD as hell, a wall of Marshall stacks (p.a. systems were lousy in those days!) They took the stage and literally took off! Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, Manic Depression...etc. He was rippin', playing with his teeth, behind the back...no lighter fluid! I remember it was Mother's Day because Hendrix annnounced: "any of you girls want to be mothers, just come backstage after the gig!" We were way up in the balcony, but Noel Redding's base SHOOK the ground beneath us! I've never heard a gig so loud, not even The Who doing Tommy or Led Zeppelin or Cream.....well, maybe Cream. They were on about an hour, no mistakes, really tight. One of the greatest performances I ever heard and yeah, he did do "Red House" on his '68 white Strat. Just some musings....hope someone enjoyed this! Rock on.
Bluesrocker
Regular

Re: Seeing Hendrix Perform in '68

Postby wanderingyankee » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:11 am

Cool story.

I tried to find the bootleg of this show on rapidshare. Perhaps you're off by one year...?

Hendrix was recording Electric Ladyland in NY on Mothers Day 1968.

However, there was a show one week after Mothers Day 1969. Have a look here...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-jimi- ... 4982e.html

Lover Man
I Don't Live Today
Red House
Getting My Heart Back Together
Spanish Castle Magic
Sunshine Of Your Love
Foxy Lady
Purple Haze
Voodoo Child
wanderingyankee
Regular