Budget opinions...

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Budget opinions...

Postby Little Mickey » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm on a serious budget but I need to replace a full set of harps for gigging and busking, and the best sets by far I've found price-wise are Jambones and Swans. I've been reading some reviews on Jambones and the overall opinion seems to be that they are pretty good and very reliable for the price, but I couldn't find anything about Swan harps. Anybody played these and can give me any advice? Cheers
L
Little Mickey
Regular

Re: Budget opinions...

Postby jbone1 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:03 am

i have not played either harp but i've also never seen a serious player with any in his or her case. i tried the cheap route some years ago and found that i got what i paid for. the huangs i used because of budget constraints actually sounded pretty good, but their life span was very short.

might i suggest suzuki folkmaster or bluesmaster harps? i have a bluesmaster which is holding up to some rigorous playing and has now for about 8 months.

hohner makes both big river and blues bender which are decent enough for the price.

i've always been the sort who replaces harps as i needed to and built my set that way. i have spares of several keys that i use a lot. i keep suzuki manji's as primary harps and have a few yet to get, but also bushman delta frost, a hering '23, a hohner blues harp, and a sp20 or 2. a motley but functional crew.

i know money can be a constraint but i'd suggest getting a harp here and a harp there, concentrating on more durable instruments. start with the most- used keys and work from there. having spares in oft-used keys is a must for me so that's why i'm always looking at harps and replacing what is wearing out.
jbone1
Regular

Postby Cincinnati Slim » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:43 pm

Anybody know anything about the Hohner BluesBand? I used to play Big River harps and had no problem. The action was good and they had about the same lifespan as Special 20's. These BluesBand harps are new to me.
Cincinnati Slim
Regular

Postby TNFrank » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:33 pm

The BlueBand is Hohner's budget priced, entry level harp, i.e. it's cheap. Big Rivers are a lot better but you'll spend about $22 bucks each for one, BluesBand harps are about $5 bucks but like they say, you get what you pay for. I'd stick with Big Rivers or better if you can afford it.
TNFrank
Regular

Return to Blues Harp