Lessons?

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Lessons?

Postby david » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:10 am

Wow, thanks for all the replies.

I will probably be going to town in a couple of days, as it is supposed to rain (again!). I plan on trying to talk with the woman and get a feel for what she has to offer.

I think the "comfort zone" insight pretty much nails it. I have been piddling around with the same basic tools and I'm ready to expand. In my case there is lots of room for expansion.

(I am still trying to figure out what the difference between playing a song in G or D and playing in G or D tuning is.)

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:39 am

>I think the "comfort zone" insight pretty much nails it. I
>have been piddling around with the same basic tools and I'm
>ready to expand. In my case there is lots of room for
>expansion.

No problem Kemosabe,
that'll be $25 for your first lesson though...;)

arf,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:17 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-03 AT 03:17 AM (EST)]That reminds me of the doctor and the lawyer, good friends from way back in high school, who met at a cocktail party held by a mutual acqaintence.
"Thank goodness for a friendly face," said the doctor
"I'm sick of everyone, once they know what I do for a living, coming up to me and describing their ailments and asking for my opinion..... What do you do when people come up to you at social functions and ask for free advice?
"Oh that's easy," said his lawyer friend "I just send them a bill and it's amazing how they take the hint!"
"Brilliant!" said the Doc "I'll try that , thanks a million."
"No Problem" said the lawyer, and the next day he sent him a bill!!!

But seriously,lessons for me put me out of my comfort zone , every week and it's the best incentive to practice ready for the next lesson where it is just too embarrasing to have to say "The dog ate my homework -again!"
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Lessons ....in canine ett-a-kit

Postby houndog » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:03 pm

>it is just too embarrasing to have to
>say "The dog ate my homework -again!"

Fekin' did not you mad Welsh dresser !

Anyhoo, where you been recently...or did the parole board get conned about your release programme again ? ;)

arf,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby david » Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:10 am

Just an update: I finally made connection with the woman that folks were saying could teach (and even play) bottleneck guitar.

In intended on asking her enough questions to see if she really could. She asked me what kind of instrument I had been playing, if it was lap style, etc. Once I got her past assuming I wanted to play country--like everybody else here--she asked if I was using open tunings (she was the only "intructor" I have found that knew what open tunings were!).

She asked if I was using chords as well as slide, like Bonnie Raitt.

That was enough for me, my first lesson is Wednesday. It should be interesting, if nothing else. The last hot shot instructor I talked to I ended up showing him how to use a slide.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:59 am

Keep us up to date, David (Better still, record the lessons and post 'em!)

Meanwhile... "What do you do when people come up to you at social functions and ask..."

"What do you do?" usually comes first. Altho' with my ex, the kind of functions at which one found oneself were haunted by the kind of people who tended to ask "Who is your father...?"

Anyway, "What do you do?" is the opportunity to anticipate the next bit by saying something like:

"I collect noses off statues..."
"Obstetrician..."
"Mortician..."
"Principal ballerino with...(etc)."
"Stripper..."

There's a million choices; suit the occasion and enquirer.

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:32 am

I hope it goes well for you mate.
I had two lessons (in 1982 I think it was) total disaster.
But I'd go for more if I thought I could find the right teacher, although I think I've developed what might be unbreakable habits.
Anyhoo, I dare say you'll be letting us know how it went, I'll look forward to hearing about it.
Good luck...
stumblin
Regular

Postby david » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:12 pm

OK, here's the report.

The woman asked me to play a little bit so she could get a feel for where I was. She stopped me about half way through the second piece and asked if I had ever heard of Roy Rogers.

She explained that what my technique seemed to be most lacking was right hand muting and Roy Rogers had a great right hand muting style that I should listen to. She proceeded to work with me about hand placement, dampening, etc. and told me to have that down by next week.

If you look at my past posts you will see that I have inquired several times about how to mute with the right hand. Bang,there it is--sort of. At this point in time I can no longer play anything because I have moved out of my faulty habits and just almost have the right habit down. I can already tell that when I get this down everything I have been playing will sound much better--more like how I wanted it to sound.

By the way, I asked her if she had heard Roy Roger's new CD and the song "Swamp Dream." She said she would pick it up and we would start working on that.

If I get Swamp Dream down I'll let you know how it's done.

This lesson thing may work, if I can get past the waiting room with all the pre-teen students waiting for their lessons. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't out playing me.

Humility is good. Humility is good. Humility is good....

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:59 pm

>This lesson thing may work, if I can get past the waiting
>room with all the pre-teen students waiting for their
>lessons. It wouldn't be so bad if they weren't out playing
>me.

They ought to be impressed by your slide playing. . .

>Humility is good. Humility is good. Humility is good....
Then I'm very good...

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby badfinger » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:41 am

Sounds a bit like "The meek shall inherit... etc."

Then I'm EVIL!!!

bf
badfinger
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!