Amp Stands?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Amp Stands?

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Anybody used those little strap & bracket type stands designed to tilt your amp back on the floor? I play with a large group that creates cramped spaces and I'm wondering if there's any real drawbacks to those things other than the fact that they don't elevate your amp.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Amp Stands?

Postby texas blues » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm

I've thought about trying one out but, a plain ol' chair works pretty good. I haven't seen anyone use one live in over twenty years.
texas blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah, plain ol' chairs work pretty good, but not if everybody else wants a chair too. :D The beauty of those little things is the space saving nature. Thanks anyway TB.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 am

Can't picture the strap & bracket stand you speak of Bubba.
Went to see Donald Kinsey and the Kinsey Report a couple months ago locally. Never heard of him and several people spoke highly of him.
The band was almost done setting up and thier harp player walked in carrying a small Vox amp, Mic, Harp case and amp stand something like this below.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=451065

Seemed to work out pretty good for him as the stage was already pretty crowded when he got there. For the price you don't have much to lose.
birddog
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:47 am

I use one of those stands for my harp amp birddog, but my keyboard amp's gotta stay on the floor. These little floor mounts are just a flat metal triangle with a couple folding bases and two straps and you lean the amp back against the straps. They're designed just to tilt the amp up..especially handy if you have to stand so close to the amp that the sound is going out between your legs (no jokes about flatulence please) :D and you can't hear it. They're tough little doggies and they hold alotta weight and they don't take up much space in yer gearbag when folded up. I just wondered if anybody'd used 'em enough to find out what limitations they might have.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Ahh.. Didn't know about this "Heimholtz resonator effect"
Well actually I did but don't care for amp stands myself and chose my slant cab to couple to my bassman.
These look interesting, may have to get one and try it on my acoustic amp.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... =product_B
birddog
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Ha, great reference BD! I'm not really a fan of ampstands either...'specially since you gotta haul 'em, but I've played places where you couldn't find anything to put yer amp on, so I've got a stand I use when I have to. The little tilters in Musicians Friend that're made outa tube metal take up more space than I'd like. I'm lookin' for somethin' that'll fit in my keyboard bag.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Tabs » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 pm

jeffl wrote:Anybody used those little strap & bracket type stands designed to tilt your amp back on the floor? I play with a large group that creates cramped spaces and I'm wondering if there's any real drawbacks to those things other than the fact that they don't elevate your amp.

I have been considering the Standback amp stand myself but never tried it.
http://standback.net/
Tabs
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:40 am

against the wall and stick an unused (or even used) pedal underneath to keep it from coming forward... cheap (unless you use an expensive boutique pedal :roll: ) and takes up only as much space as the amp...
jaybee
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey Jaybee, what if there's no wall close? Should I move back to wherever the wall is? :lol: That would be funny.... people lookin' around for the harp player when they hear a solo....
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues