New Harness in my Sheraton

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New Harness in my Sheraton

Postby Sheraton » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:39 am

I have tried a little experiment with a new harness in my 1987 Epiphone Sheraton II.

I had the harness made so I can split the pickups and put the pickups "Out of Phase" and "In Series".

Please excuse my senseless noodling, just a noob playing with his new box of tricks.....

I am just on my porch playing through a Epiphone Pacemaker.

But I think you will get the general idea of the different tones I can get out of this harness.

Last edited by Sheraton on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheraton
Regular

Re: New Harness in my Sheraton

Postby Sheraton » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks for you feedback guys...it is only an experiment....31 views not one comment........
Sheraton
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 am

Sheraton wrote:Thanks for you feedback guys...it is only an experiment....31 views not one comment........

No reason to get upset... This isn't a really fast moving forum.

Anyways, I watched the video. It's pretty nifty having all that at the pull of a knob. I particularly like the sound when it was in series.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:48 am

What an amazing range of tones from just one instrument! Congratulations on thinking it all out. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Sheraton » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 am

leftyguitarman wrote:
Sheraton wrote:Thanks for you feedback guys...it is only an experiment....31 views not one comment........

No reason to get upset... This isn't a really fast moving forum.

Anyways, I watched the video. It's pretty nifty having all that at the pull of a knob. I particularly like the sound when it was in series.

Lefty thanks...I can assure you my second post was very tongue in cheek... :wink:
Sheraton
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm not really sure if I can discern much difference there. It would be better to do these kind of recordings without reverb (or any effect) mixed in.

I've toyed with split humbuckers before and didn't find the difference to be that noticeable/interesting.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:48 pm

zhyla wrote:I've toyed with split humbuckers before and didn't find the difference to be that noticeable/interesting.

I really think it depends on the humbucker. I've played some guitars that when the coils are split, it sounds like the thinnest single coil on the planet. I've also played some that sound quite beefy when split.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:54 am

The out of phase tone seems to me to stand out as being most "different" from the others. But I'm an old dog and don't think I could cope with so many choices. But that's just me liking things simple and I do appreciate the thought and ingenuity that goes into this kind of thing. It's how progress is made.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Sheraton » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:24 am

zhyla wrote:I'm not really sure if I can discern much difference there. It would be better to do these kind of recordings without reverb (or any effect) mixed in.

I've toyed with split humbuckers before and didn't find the difference to be that noticeable/interesting.

Thanks for the feedback. Just a few words of context. The guitar is an "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton made in the Samick factory in 1987. I bought it for $350. The person I bought it from had had Gibson 57's in the guitar and taken them out and put the stock pickups back. The harness was absolute rubbish and the switch was prone to not work when it felt like.

This was no problem as I had bought the guitar to mod anyway.

I thought of new pickups and could not make my mind up between Gibson BB 1+2 or try a set of Lollar Imperial Low Winds...

In the end for a very good price I used the services of a guy in Canada who wound me a set of pickups 7.0k neck 7.9 bridge Alnico II magnets unpotted and everything else exactly to my brief.

I had two harnesses made a conventional and a "Jimmy Page" style.....

The beauty is if I don't pull any of the knobs it is just a conventional Sheraton with a fine pair of pickups.

But "if" on certain amps I want to experiment a little "then I can if I wish".

I deliberately made the test on a cheap Bugera V5 amp and all settings are the same.

I have played that guitar through a Fender Twin Reverb, and it is pretty interesting what you can dial in, as the scope is far more than is picked up on the built in mic on my video camera on the vid.

This may be of interest

A new made in China Epiphone Sheraton here in Sweden costs 5495sek that is us$710

http://www.musikborsen.se/itempg.aspx?i ... tno=105357

My modified Korean "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton modified with pickups and harness made in Canada by Jon Moore new knobs and pickguard cost up to now us$650

which one would you have given the choice........

I am much happier with my modifed 1987 Korean Sheraton. I think the quality control on Epiphones (in general) today sucks.

I own two Epiphones the other is a 1999 Peerless made Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe.

IMHO buying second hand and modding Korean made Epi's is what I can afford and enjoy doing.

I am a novice only been playing since last August but these two Epi's are two of my four Electric guitars and I love owning and playing them.

my electric guitars:

solid body: Firebird
semi hollow: Sheraton
full hollow: Zephyr
my beater: SG (us$127) (I am going to sell this or give it away and get a Tele)

So this mod was part of the overall plan of a recent newcomer to guitars for hopefully many years of "learning" and growing.....I even like playing my Sheraton unplugged...sometimes.....this was last night :D

Sheraton
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:59 pm

That Zephyr is gorgeous!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Sheraton » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:28 am

leftyguitarman wrote:That Zephyr is gorgeous!

Do you mean big, blonde, and curvy gorgeous! Then I would have to agree......

nice in Vintage Sunburst as well.....very versatile guitar......

Sheraton
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues