The National vs. The Too Many Guitars Syndrome

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

The National vs. The Too Many Guitars Syndrome

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:28 pm

I made a vow not to buy any more guitars until I thinned out the herd a bit. Got too flippin' many. Yeah, I'm an oak. Got a call from my favorite little music shop tellling me I needed to get my butt over there. That usually means trouble. Walked in and the owner throws a 1932 National Duolian in my hands. Steel body, matte black paint, a real nice one. Tells me to take it home and kick the tires.

"How much scratch?" says I
"How much ya got?" says he

After a bit of back and forth he finally tells me the price - darn good, ain't seen one sell that in a few years now. Still, ain't exactly what I would call fire sale cheap.

"Ain't got that kinda loot laying around " says I
"You got a nice old Gibson J-200 - you could get the National and cash for it" says he
"My wife loves that guitar and would kill me" says I
"Then how about that nice old Gibson SJ you got" says he.
"You will have to pry it from my cold dead hands to get it" says I

I walked out sans National. He knows and I know that if I took it home it was not going back to the store.
Question is - will I head down to the store this afternoon.

Tune in tomorrow
Lo-Fi
Regular

Re: The National vs. The Too Many Guitars Syndrome

Postby birddog » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Well man, you have come to realize 2 things I can see.
First you admit you have to many guitars.
I guess you have to make an evaluation on that, nobody here can tell you what you play and what you don't. What you can go without and what is of sentimental value and such. Wheather you get the National or not you will probably weigh things out some.
Second, you realize "Fear" :| You might have regret down the road, especially if you part with the more valuble vintage stuff not easily replaced.

Now this afternoon might be too soon, but he may be thinking about calling someone else to play the game with.

After the process let know how it worked out, don't let that stop you from getting the neck reset on the old Harmony though.
birddog
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:22 pm

Tooo serious. You got to get it. It's developing into a story already and that's what makes it worthwhile. What kind of story will you have if you don't? But then, you should never take advice from strangers. Or anybody else.;)
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:39 pm

Get rid of the wood bodies. They will rot away. The national will be around a long time.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:46 pm

You guys are lousy enablers.

I ain't bought it but the National is here in the house. The store owner lowered the price - the offer is good until Tuesday.

If I keep it looks like I will be having a guitar sale in the near future. Anybody interested in some iconic 1930s "blues guitars"? Give ya a killer price.

Keep tuned in.
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:23 am

i'd probably try to keep the gibbies and the nat.you can't have too many guitars,haha.

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:41 am

bottleneck wrote:i'd probably try to keep the gibbies and the nat.you can't have too many guitars,haha.

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman

Throw in the Harmony Sovereign and that is exactly what I am thinking. I love the old Kay Krafts but....
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:45 am

Lo-Fi wrote: I ain't bought it but the National is here in the house.

Lo-Fi, he's got ya! :D The manager of our local music store called Rockshop is unfortunately a friend of mine and he knows only too well that it's a one way trip through the shop door when I carry one out. I say "unfortunately" because he has a totally cavalier attitude to my clearly apparent addiction.

The only question I would ask is, what place will it occupy in your arsenal once the "new toy" factor wears off? Will it get the fingering it deserves. I currently own a nice solid top 12 string Yammy which, if I had my time again would still be in the shop and a resonator would be hanging on my wall in its place.
Peace :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:54 am

ricbleu wrote:The only question I would ask is, what place will it occupy in your arsenal once the "new toy" factor wears off? Will it get the fingering it deserves.

That's a great way of looking at things. This is the reason I don't have a second Les Paul or a second resonator... But I do have two Strats... :blink:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:23 am

I'd keep the National and the Gibsons, but shake off any toy guitars around the place. Well, I might keep one toy reso around. And maybe a travel guitar. And a lapsteel. But that's it! Well, OK, maybe a Tele as well.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby The Breeze » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Hang on... hang on...

I have two vintage Gibsons AND a Duolian on trial, only a '32 so punched f holes...

A word from us mere mortals:

"WE'RE NOT WORTHY..."
The Breeze
Regular

Postby Lo-Fi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:22 pm

ricbleu wrote:
Lo-Fi wrote: I ain't bought it but the National is here in the house.

Lo-Fi, he's got ya! :D The manager of our local music store called Rockshop is unfortunately a friend of mine and he knows only too well that it's a one way trip through the shop door when I carry one out. I say "unfortunately" because he has a totally cavalier attitude to my clearly apparent addiction.

The only question I would ask is, what place will it occupy in your arsenal once the "new toy" factor wears off? Will it get the fingering it deserves. I currently own a nice solid top 12 string Yammy which, if I had my time again would still be in the shop and a resonator would be hanging on my wall in its place.
Peace :D

Yup, same here - the owner is a good friend and unfortunately knows my tastes in guitars and what it takes to get me to buy one of his muisical goodies.

The new "toy factor" - I have been thinking about that. I do not play a whole lotta slide anymore. At most I just put on a Will Ray Stealth slide to play single string runs and just finger the chords. But then I tried a slow, dirge-like fingerpicked version of "Copperhead Road" I worked out for a friend and it sounded flippin' great on the steel.

On this one it may come down to price - see if I can get it around "dealer price."
Lo-Fi
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:00 am

Well keep us posted. And if "The National vs The Too Many Guitars Syndrome" results in a victory for The National, you'll lose no support from round here. No stern looks of disapproval or even raised eyebrows in surprise. Just a few envious glances, perhaps... :mrgreen:
ricbleu
Regular

Postby Neal » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:01 am

Lo-Fi, it happens. Roll with it. In a few years this'll be just an exciting memory, and you won't remember life without that National.

Or you'll sell it and get another one. :lol:
Neal
Regular

Postby kiwiblues » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Yeh, I got my National Style O a few years ago during a GAS outbreak.
Now and again I decide I might get rid of it but it's one of my possessions which says to me "No I'm a one off, I sound so good you'll regret selling me for sure"
Then at the weekend my 34 year old daughter was down from Auckland and saw it sitting in the corner of the lounge and declared it a family heirloom which will be passed on through the generations, so that's an end to any ideas of selling!! :roll: :lol:
Neal wrote:Lo-Fi, it happens. Roll with it. In a few years this'll be just an exciting memory, and you won't remember life without that National.

Or you'll sell it and get another one. :lol:
Last edited by kiwiblues on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
kiwiblues
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar