I feel like building another guitar

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: I feel like building another guitar

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:36 am

Another update is in order, I believe.

It's getting damn close. I have the frets in, almost all the shaping is done, the routing and drilling are done, and I have all the bits I need. It's just a matter of sanding and figuring out exactly what I want to do with the finish. If all goes well, though, I should have it ready for the finish by the end of the week.

I decided to go with string-through ferrules since I couldn't find a suitable trapeze tailpiece, and I have a 6 position rotary switch for tone options. Should be fun. I'll get some pictures up this week.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby birddog » Tue May 25, 2010 3:15 pm

Wonderin about yours, lookin forward to some pic's

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:42 am

More progress. It'll be done tomorrow (possibly). I'm pretty impressed with myself for getting the burst to look as good as it does, especially since I've never done one and didn't bother practicing before doing it. Hand-rubbed sunburst and 4 coats of tung oil and here's how it looks.

Just have to wire it up tomorrow. I decided to just go with a volume, tone, and a bass-cut toggle. I have other plans for the varitone switch :twisted:

I'll post finished pictures tomorrow.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:11 am

Looks Good !
Let us know how it plays and sounds after you give it a workout.
birddog
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Before heading off to work to finish the guitar, I thought I'd post some pictures of the old pickup I'm using, just so you can see how cheap this thing is (pardon the awful pictures).

It has a paper bobbin. I love it.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:24 am

Alright, here's the semi-finished product:

I'm really happy with how it turned out. The neck is massive, but fits my hand really, really well. I carved it to an offset U shape, thicker on the bass side and thinner on the treble side, and it feels great. Took about an hour to get used to, but now I can play just as well on here as I can on all my other guitars. Unplugged it is a really resonant guitar. You play a chord and you can feel it in the whole guitar. Plugged in, it has a pretty snappy attack. Not quite tele-snap, but still snappy. It's a nice balance between bright and dark, and through the right amp, it nails the Tom Waits guitar tone that I was hoping for. Clean it has a nice, jazzy quality to it. Dirty it barks like a pissed off doberman.

Now, on to the things that will be changed soon. I had some funky issues with tone knob, which is why there is an empty hole in the pickguard. I just couldn't get it to work right, no matter how I wired things. However, I'm thinking I'll wire the tone as a bass roll-off for those times I feel like having a thinner tone. I'm also going to change the bridge soon. The one I have on there now buzzes a lot and doesn't do the best job of transferring the vibrations to the body. I also need to clean the pickguard up a bit and try to darken it a bit. I'm thinking a night in a coffee bath will do the trick. I may just make a new one, though.

All in all, I'm damn pleased and damn impressed with myself.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:36 pm

Looking at the photo I would reckon the bridge buzz is a result of having the string thru holes too far away from the bridge, thus resulting in too shallow of a break angle over the bridge saddles. Si or no?
texas blues
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:04 pm

That's certainly part of it. This bridge isn't the best, though. Even with a better break angle, the saddles tend to buzz a lot. But it's off a 60's Japanese Silvertone, so it isn't really a surprise. I'm thinking of just carving a rosewood bridge for it. I think it would benefit from having the entire bridge contacting the guitar, rather than just the ends.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:29 pm

Well, I'm used to the massive neck on this thing now, and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. On one hand, it's an incredibly comfortable guitar to play. I think the fact that it supports my hand so well lets me play a lot longer without my hand fatiguing. On the other hand, the necks on all of my other guitars feel very tiny now...and some of them have pretty beefy necks. But I do seem to be able to do things with less effort on some of those necks now. It's really an odd feeling.

I'm still toying with the idea of shaving this neck down a bit, though. And I wouldn't mind giving it more of a hard V shape like the neck on my old Archtop, which is still one of the most comfortable necks I've played.

I couldn't be happier with how this guitar turned out, though, and once I get the electronics figured out, it could very well turn into my #1 for my bluesy endeavors. I'm also considering building a case for it and sticking a vibro-champ or similar small tube amp in it. Not that I need another amp, but it'd be pretty nice to have everything I need for an impromptu jam or last minute gig in one convenient case.
guitarslim101
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues