Robert Johnson at the wrong speed?

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Robert Johnson at the wrong speed?

Postby uglyguitar » Fri May 28, 2010 12:01 am

The question is... does it really matter? Interesting article anyway. I always thought his voice was a little high, but it sounds good to me either way!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2010/may/27/robert-johnson-blues
uglyguitar
Regular

Re: Robert Johnson at the wrong speed?

Postby ricochet » Fri May 28, 2010 12:48 am

It's been discussed a lot on here, and on most other blues boards. I believe the theory, but I'm not sure slowing it to G pitch is quite right for all of his songs.
ricochet
Regular

Postby uglyguitar » Fri May 28, 2010 11:44 pm

ah... I'm late to the party as usual! I never considered RJ to be the best ever anyway, I like Skip James.
uglyguitar
Regular

Postby Neal » Sat May 29, 2010 2:39 am

I don't think there is a "best" UG, just varying degrees of good, and all subjective anyway.

I'm not sure I buy the theory. Maybe one day we'll know.
Neal
Regular

Postby farmaz » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:40 am

to be honest i allways throught his stuff sounded fine & the 2nd version of come in my kitchen which is atlo slower than the first part has allways been my favourite.

i aint that fussed if it is 20% faster the guy was & still is the master of rural mississippi blues, he still rates #1 for slide along side fred mcdowell IMO.
farmaz
Arbiter of monkey junk

Postby stumblin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:53 pm

I can't bring myself to buy into the wrong speed theory.
Watch John Hammond Jr.'s documentary The Search for Robert Johnson. Hammond plays one of Robert's records, Love in Vain, to Willie Mae Powell, for whom it was written. She had never heard it before, she recognises his voice instantly and a very moving scene is recorded for posterity. Had the recording been at the wrong speed, she would probably not have been able to recognise his voice - not instantly and with such ease, anyway.
Apart from this, how come Johnny Shines and others who knew Robert never gave any indication that the recordings are too fast? Honeyboy is still with us, and he's never said so either.
If you were to re-brand Corn Flakes with Robert Johnson's name on the box, millions of blues fans would buy them, even if they'd always preferred Weetabix.
stumblin
Regular

Postby uglyguitar » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:37 pm

I actually just saw that documentary for the first time, and I saw the scene you mention. I don't think after so long anyone could have remembered how he sounded, so I'm not so sure that it's proof one way or the other. I guess we'll just have to enjoy it no matter what speed it is LOL!
uglyguitar
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I don't see where it's a big deal, even if it is slightly fast. Even today, bands will perform a song in more than one key and more than one tempo on different occasions.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 am

It's only as big a deal as you want to make it. But getting the key wrong can make it harder to play.

Changing recording speeds has been done lots. In more recent times, Jimmy Page says he recorded Led Zep's "When The Levee Breaks" in Open G but it was slowed down to F in production to "fatten up the tone." It's been suggested that RJ's recordings were run slow to pep up the tempo.
ricochet
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:44 pm

Here's Elijah Wald's take on this theory:

http://www.elijahwald.com/johnsonspeed.html
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues