Gibson Classic 57's or Seymour Duncan Hotrodded pickup set

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Gibson Classic 57's or Seymour Duncan Hotrodded pickup set

Postby rossfloss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm finally sick of the the 490/498 humbuckers in my Gibson LP. They're a tad too muddy and too gainy for my likings. I know there are a lot of fancy/custom/handwound pickups out there but I decided I am going to choose either the classic 57's or the SD hotrod set because there are a slew of great reviews so I doubt there will be any disappointment. What set would you all recommend and why? Is one set marginally cleaner than the other?
rossfloss
Regular

Re: Gibson Classic 57's or Seymour Duncan Hotrodded pickup set

Postby rustyslide » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Which SD 'hotrod'? the JBs? they're hotter than the ones you've got.

Classic '57s would be a better bet.

Here are the SD ones you might want to consider:
Vintage style humbuckers.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm

I'd go for the 57's. They're the nicest pickups Gibson makes IMO.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby rossfloss » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah i didn't notice that the JB was a pretty hot pickup. I think I'll get the 57's then. It seems like on a lot of youtube videos people will use too much overdrive with the 57 classic plus in the bridge position. Is that because it's just hotter and it has more of a classic rock sound? Should I go for just a classic 57 for the bridge and not a classic 57 plus? Or should I maybe perhaps look at a different pickup all together? haha
rossfloss
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:39 am

The "hotter" the pickup, the more the treble frequencies are attentuated. It's because of all the extra windings. The h/buckers in the 50s & 60s Les Pauls commonly known as PAFs were all in the 7k impedance region. They all differed because they were hand wound but 7.2 - 7.6k range was normal. So if you are using a h/bucker of 11k impedance, you are going to have to find some way of regaining those trebles if you want them. It's not my field, but someone here will be able to tell you how. Otherwise stick to a lower impedance h/bucker. You might also consider lower uF caps which won't allow you to roll off so much treble on the tone, but that won't make any difference when you've got the tone wide open. I have recently made a lap steel and chose a 7.6k h/bucker over an 8.6k one for the very reason you've become dissatisfied. The 7.6 is a noticeably brighter p/up. I settled on a .018uF cap after trying .047 (commonly associated with h/buckers along with .033uF) which gave excellent wah swells but too much mud at the action end of the roll off (both linear and log pots tried), then a .01 (too much of nothing) and hence the .018. Guitar Fetish make (or sell) good value p/ups.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:58 pm

If you'll pardon me being pedantic for a moment, the figures above are for DC resistance of the windings, not impedance which varies with frequency. DC resistance is often given for pickups and can give some basis for comparison of similar pickups. But since the inductance, which varies with the number of turns, the size and shape of the coil and the amount and sort of magnetic material inside the windings is what really matters, resistance can't help when there may be different wire gauges or coil shapes involved. Lots of pickup makers don't tell us anything about inductance, Q or resonant frequency, but they give us DC resistance and we think we know a lot about the pickup's characteristics from that when we really don't.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:20 pm

leftyguitarman wrote:I'd go for the 57's. They're the nicest pickups Gibson makes IMO.

I like the Burstbuckers more, but for half the price I got a set of Highorders wound for me instead, that are amazing.

ricbleu wrote:you are going to have to find some way of regaining those trebles if you want them.

Can't. You can lower the EQ on the other bands to compensate.

ricbleu wrote:I settled on a .018uF cap after trying .047 (commonly associated with h/buckers along with .033uF)

Er, 0.022µF are common for Gibson dual HB guitars. .047µF is more commonly used with single coil pickups, which are brighter; those caps would probably be way too dark for most HBs. Tastes differ though, I've read of someone using a .1µF cap with the bridge pickup of his LP because it was too bright for him otherwise. Maybe he's a dog?

Pot value also matters - 250kΩ is typical for single coils, 333kΩ or 500kΩ for HBs. Lower value pots will cause a less bright sound compared to higher value ones, all else being equal.

In one LP I have .022µF for the neck and .015µF for the bridge. The other has a pair of .022µF caps.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricbleu » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Ooops. :oops: Thanks, guys, for the corrections. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:43 am

I put Gib 57 plus on the bridge & regular on the neck.....gave my Epi a lil extra zip.

Silk purse from a sow's ear.
tinsmith
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues