Guitar Strap

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Guitar Strap

Postby boz » Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:21 am

How Ya Doin,
Hey anyone got any tips about attaching guitar straps on acoustics?
My guitars don't have the top strap button. I want to use a leather lace around the head cept that it hinders playability down at the 1 an 2 fret. I don't really want to put a strap button on the neck. Any tricks?
boz
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Guitar Strap

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:17 am

It's popular to put a button on the underside of the heel of the neck. One had been added that way to my Bluesmaster. Works fine. It really is handier than lacing the strap to the tuning head.
ricochet
Regular

Postby boz » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:34 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-03 AT 10:35 PM (EST)]Hey Rico,
Yah, I know that's how it's usually done. It just makes me cringe to think of drillin a hole in my new guitar. There's not many ways round it. It's that Liberty I just got. The heel has like a white cap where it meets the body. Geez, I hate to think of drillin a hole in er. I guess if I get tired enough dealin with a strap round the tuning head I'll probably end up installin a strap button.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:50 am

I have an old guitar I'd never drill a hole in for anything as silly as a strap.

I have a piece of Parachute cord running under the strings above the nut, running through one of those neat spring-loaded plastic dealies you find on a backpack, and tied in a simple knot on the other side, that I run through the button hole of a nice leather strap.

It doesn't get in the way, and it works well.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chillywilly » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:27 am

Parachute cord. Along with duct tape, probably the two most indispensable items ever invented, I wish I had the concession on both of 'em.

Spandex is right up there too, but unlike 'chute cord and duct tape, it doesn't work in every application. Check out your local fitness club and you'll see what I mean.

I do the same as Lummo, except I buy it off the shelf. All of my guitars that don't have a strap button on the heel (btw BOZ, I've drilled those holes with no problems, on several guitars) have a quick-release headstock strap clip (attached with glorified parachute cord) with which I can instantly click in one of the 3 guitar straps I own.

8 guitars, 3 straps. What'd'ya do? Get yerself a few of these quick release gizmos.

I always use a strap, because I don't like to have to hold up the guitar, fight the force of gravity, and play the damn thing too. Especially if it's a 10 pound National. Takes a while to get used to headstock strap suspension, but it's just like going from finger-tips to finger-picks, you get used to it quickly.

my $0.02
Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby boz » Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:35 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-03 AT 11:43 PM (EST)]Hey A.L.,
I'de like to try anything else before I drill. "spring loaded plastic dealie"? I usually sit when I play an don't have any problem with my Gibson. The Liberty is a different story. It's bottom heavy an has a tendency to slide off my leg. I'm trying to get used to laying it across my left leg (I'm right handed) but it seems kinda awkward.
Back to the s.l.p.dealie, I can't picture what you mean.
Thanks for the help.
Yah Chilly, Just by coincendence parachute cord is one of my main supply stocks. I use it for alot of stuff. I have a guy makin me a personalized guitar strap an really want to use it on the Liberty.
If I mess around long enough I'll come up with somethin.
I just don't want to take the DeWalt to my new guitar just yet.
(I guess I don't wanna drop it on the floor either) - D'oh !!!!!!!
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:22 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-03 AT 01:19 AM (EST)]These dealies.

http://www.campmor.com/images/packs/larger/67786_l.jpg

Umm, I highly recommend sitting and not using a strap at all when playing a heavy resonator guitar- so you can move more freely and in a relaxed manner, and don't have pressure on your shoulder that will make your singing voice tighter and more constricted.

And I sit with the guitar on my right leg- more like Son House than Segovia. Segovia wasn't playing a Steel guitar!
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Nov 20, 2003 6:57 am

BOZ-

What A.L. is refering to is commonly known as a "cord lock" or "cord stopper". They are used for cinching the waist and hood drawstrings on parkas and such. Should be available at any fabric supply or outdoors outfitter.

[link:www.usabuckles.com/stoppers-s.htm|cord locks]

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boz » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:07 pm

Hey A.L. & Bosco,
A Big 10-4!!! Gotcha...
I appreciate all the input...
I guess I'm gonna have to stop wearin those sharkskin suits when I play. Guess I'm kinda gettin the ass before the cart, anyway...
Did anyone ever see that classic film of Mr. House whailin away on his reso? I swear he musta had somethin under his right foot to raise that leg up while he was playin.
On a different note, I got an installed that Lace Sensor pickup an it is everything Bluedawg said it was. It really is very nice...
Cool...Thanks guys...
Later.
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:25 pm

I would definately keep wearing the sharkskin suit.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chillywilly » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:24 am

I concur with Lummo.

Whatever you decide about the guitar strap, do NOT lose the sharkskin suit. Add a porkpie hat and some Ray-Bans. At that point, you will be so unbelievably cool that the guitar strap won't matter.

CW
chillywilly
Regular

Postby boz » Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:47 am

10-4 Guys...
What about the flip flops?
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!