Postby costa » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:46 pm

How to turn a bunch of musicians into a band:

1- Listen
2- Listen
3- Listen
4- Now you can play.

That simple.

Costa

P.S. Drugs and Alcohol do NOT improve playing. I recently quit drinking (26 and an alcoholic...not good) and I've found that I am not only playing better during gigs, as an added bonus, I can actually remember my mistakes at the end of the night, so I can fix them next time! Listen kids, stay away from the bottle while on stage. Tell them Uncle Costa said so. Thank me later.

...Little Village, Mother F&?%er, Little Village!
costa
Regular

RE: HOW DO YO MAKE A BLUESBAND HAPP

Postby slyde » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:33 pm

One way to get a band flowing down the right water-way is to make SURE everyone is on the same page. What I mean by that is make sure everyone is in agreement about they type of music to be played and what songs will be played.

Keep all the egos in check...egos will kill bands and friendships.

Have fun when you jam....when it ain't no fun no more...STOP!

Recording practice is a great way to find your subtle mistakes that you may over-look otherwise.

It is wonderful when band members can CONSTRUCTIVELY criticize each other. I don't mean jump down someone's throat when they make a mistake, but be helpful when pointing out mistakes. I know I'd rather hear criticism from my band-mates other than from the crowd I'm playing to. the key is to be "helpful" not "hurtful".

Postby chick french » Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:50 pm

Someone once asked Norm Hamblin who his favorite player was and he said "Me"

Believe in yourself and it will show.
chick french
Regular

Postby jaybee » Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:39 am

practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice and then practice some more ;)

believe in yourself, don't listen to negative criticism, take positive criticism serious and then start practicing all over again...
jaybee
Regular

Postby ideot » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:00 pm

"One way to get a band flowing down the right water-way is to make SURE everyone is on the same page. What I mean by that is make sure everyone is in agreement about they type of music to be played and what songs will be played."

Excellent advice slyde, seeing as that my whole band just broke up after our first gig. The drummer wanted to play progressive rock, the lead guitar wanted to play punk rock, and me (vocals, bass, rythem guitar depending on song) wanted to play blues and rockabilly.
As for the alcohol thing, I've noticed that one or two drinks tends to loosen you up a little more, just don't drink until you have a 42 fret guitar (trust me, you don't get any more flexibility).
Mostly, just be glad you have more than two drummers in your whole town.
ideot
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:09 am

Well- we've definitely established that the relationship between performing, alcohol, and drugs is one which should be watched, and it doesn't go away- it's always there. We've all seen deals where a guy gets kicked out cuz' he's screwin' up with the stuff. My piece of advice about gettin'a band to happen is, don't have short practices. If you can, at least at first, start early in the evening, and play as late as you can ( midnite, 2,3, whatever ) Give yourselves time to jam for 40 minutes on one tune. You'll get the groove that way. and once you got the thing down, you start naturally adding the stuff that makes it good (riffs, dynamics, tone, etc. ) And, don't just work on covers - jam, jam, jam. And don't play so loud that you can't hear each other. And, remember- EVERYBODY has an off nite once in awhile. Be forgiving of others when it happens, as long as it doesn't happen all the feckin' time.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:53 pm

> "One way to get a band flowing down the right water-way is to make SURE everyone is on the same page. What I mean by that is make sure everyone is in agreement about they type of music to be played and what songs will be played." <

I'm with you here...my band just experienced some personell changes for that very reason. The drummer left because he didn't want to gig as often as the rest of us. The rhythym guitar player left because he wanted to do more of his original songs.

I have pushed for two years (the entire time I have been in the band) for monthly meetings where all six of us could sit down and discuss the direction of the band. I'm talking about a meeting with no distractions, no significant others present, etc.

Well, those meetings never materialized and all the decisions were made with 3 or 4 members present. Now we are seeing the end result of not all being on the same page. We had the best band in town no matter who you asked and the most gigs without question... And we still had problems.

People and circumstances change over time there is no doubt. But make sure you are all on the same page to begin with before you invest a lot of valuable time in a deadend situation.

Bosco

keep on harpin'...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:11 pm

Part of the thing with bands is that someone has to step up a be a leader, especially OFF the bandstand. I've found over the years bands run as a democracy often have too much infighting to get anything done. Very often, like with Jazz, Blues often has to deal with the mercenarial aspect of many musicians, and having fancy arrangements may not always be the way to go when you may be forced to use subs.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blucartoon182 » Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:26 pm

As an audience member of a lot of local band shows I agree that you should have fun and joke on stage. Nothing is worse than going to a local dive and seeing a band who acts like rock stars. These people don't get taken serious, people just joke about them. On the flip-side, jokes and fun help engage the crowd and puts people in a great mood. But, I'm a cartoonist, so I'm a little biased towards humor.
blucartoon182
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!