DiMarzio Area Pickups

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

DiMarzio Area Pickups

Postby rossfloss » Fri May 14, 2010 9:32 pm

So After watching several youtube videos my favorite being probably this guy's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJaAhRTZDig

I've decided to give the highly acclaimed DiMarzio Area pickups a try. I ordered the Area 58' for the neck and I plan on getting a 67' for the middle and a 61' for the bridge eventually, depending on how I feel about the 58'.

Has anyone used these? What are your opinions on them?
Attachments
area58.jpg
rossfloss
Regular

Re: DiMarzio Area Pickups

Postby rossfloss » Sat May 15, 2010 6:11 pm

I got the Area 58 and so far I am not very impressed. First of all the inbetween position (neck=Area 58 & middle=Custom 69) sounds too quiet and very weird (yes I made sure they were wired in-phase.) I'm thinking this is just because the Area pickups were engineered to be used with each other, not with true single coils. This brings me to my next point. All the reviews say you cannot tell that they are a stacked humbucker because they sound stratty as hell. They do sound somewhat stratty but i can sense a slight lack of "single coilness". Single coils have a very delicate, intricate, complex, textured tone that we have all grown to love (I hope!). The Area pickups are a bit smoothed out like humbuckers. I will be fair though and admit they are great pickups and I would definitely use them over Fender noiseless or lace sensor. I'm not going to write them off yet. I need to try a strat with all Area pickups to really get the full experience.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat May 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Does tweaking the EQ at all help?

Also, CS69s are highly regarded from what I've read. I've very little single coil experience; quite happy with the CS54s that came in my Strat.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby rossfloss » Sun May 16, 2010 6:18 pm

No tweaking the EQ does not really help. I just tried them out on my Super Champ clean channel. I didn't even try it through my peavey delta blues or cyber twin because I immediately put the old pickup back in because I cannot do without a good sounding position 4 (probably my favorite for clean stuff).

And yes, the custom 69's are great. Probably my favorite single coil that I've used. Never tried the 54's though actually.
rossfloss
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon May 17, 2010 10:19 am

Playing with pick ups can be an expensive proposition.
Then again, I've seen some pick ups off of $100 guitars that sound awesome.
You read and read reviews then make a decision and are disappointed sucks cause thats the way I'd do it. Guess if it were me and I didn't like it it would be put on ebay unless I was into collecting.

I look forward to putting some from the link below in my Strat that I'm building someday. Just as soon as I don't like the sound of the ones I already have. :wink:
Put a set in the Tele I built and couldn't be happier with that tone.
Looking for something else to cover the other bases for the Strat.
I like the tone of some of the people in there Pro roster 8) The best pick ups may be made in Texas

http://www.riograndepickups.com/

Wally
birddog
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues