Best Blues-Buckers ?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Best Blues-Buckers ?

Postby ricochet » Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 pm

rustyslide wrote:
ricochet wrote:Secret sauce = duck diarrhea. If the numbers are all equal, so is the sound. We're just talking about solenoids and magnets.

Secret duck-diarrhea? My point was that if one winder was known for a great pickup and all the numbers were known, then someone else would have an easier time copying it.

Very true.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu May 13, 2010 12:31 am

rossfloss wrote:I just recently bought a 96' Gibson Les Paul Studio (the glossed archtop version) and the pickups seem a bit too gainy

I had the same pickups (Gibson 490R/498T) in a very similar guitar, and I replaced them with the HighOrders that I mentioned before.

rossfloss wrote:Is there any link you can post that will demonstrate the "Peter Green" sound you're talking about? I've never heard of doing that but it sounds like an interesting idea.

At 2:37, Larry starts talking and showing how the controls work with the pickups out of phase:

I have a Les Paul wired this way, with the phase-switch on a push-pull pot.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby TheDude » Fri May 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks Rusty, I'm sure there's more to it than flipping the pickup upside-down. I'm just not very technical, so that's just the first thing I noticed. :D

@ Rossfloss: just look up some vintage Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac) on Youtube. For me there's no push-pull pot, it's just wired that way so you get that out-of-phase sound in the middle position. On a clean amp it reminds me a lot of the T-Bone Walker sound. It's got that "honking" sound in the midrange. I think it's a great sound for blues.
TheDude
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri May 14, 2010 1:36 pm

TheDude wrote:On a clean amp it reminds me a lot of the T-Bone Walker sound. It's got that "honking" sound in the midrange. I think it's a great sound for blues.

T-Bone's ES-5 had the middle pickup out-of-phase with the other two, which is why you're hearing that. I can also get some great BB King sounds, even though, to my knowledge, his guitars were never wired/equipped this way.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues