I lost the feel of my guitar

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

I lost the feel of my guitar

Postby stoney » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:09 pm

I was in a auto wreck and i was crunched up bad,it took me a few years to get my life back on track to just a small portion of what it use to be.After 9 years away form my instrument when i pick my guitar back up to start playing again i notice that i had a problem with muteing my strings with the palm of my left hand.This is a very important part of being a GOOD OR GREAT GUITARIST if i don't get that feeling back i will never go forward in my love of my life MUSIC. 9 years away from my instrument has made me realize something very important, staying away from something or someone you love for long periods of time can damage a relation,,peace.

my songs
full of mistakes
cd coming soon

stoney
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/terro ... rmusic.htm
stoney
Regular

RE: I lost the feel of my guitar

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:02 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-04 AT 11:02 AM (EST)]Stoney, keep plugging away at it. Things will likely slowly get better with your hand's function, and besides, you'll learn workarounds for what doesn't work the way it used to. All any of us can do is make the best of what we've got. I sympathize because I didn't start learning guitar till about a year after I nearly tore my right arm off in a motorcycle wreck. I've got a metal prosthesis for my upper humerus and the shaft's wired together. I'm very thankful that my radial nerve made it through with my hand function intact and all of my numbness is on the side of my forearm. But for a long time I couldn't hold a guitar for more than 5 minutes or so and it's still uncomfortable if I play very long. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, though! And it gets easier all the time.

As for palm muting, it's a great technique but there are other ways to mute and other tones you can use. I can't palm mute at all with my Tricone, as the handrest covers the area of the strings right next to the bridge. If I touch them where I can, it mutes them completely very quickly, instead of giving that nice chunky tone. So I just don't do the palm muting thing on it. I can play the bass strings and then quickly "cut them off" with the heel of my thumb or mute with the left hand to give a quick staccato effect effect.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:40 pm

You're liable to wind up playing better than you'd thought you could.

Take it slow and enjoy the process, because the process is all there is anyway.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:36 pm

In lots of other domains of life I have often wished: "If I could only start over knowing what I know now."

Why not music?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stoney » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:11 pm

>Stoney, keep plugging away at it. Things will likely slowly
>get better with your hand's function, and besides, you'll
>learn workarounds for what doesn't work the way it used to.
>All any of us can do is make the best of what we've got. I
>sympathize because I didn't start learning guitar till about
>a year after I nearly tore my right arm off in a motorcycle
>wreck. I've got a metal prosthesis for my upper humerus and
>the shaft's wired together. I'm very thankful that my radial
>nerve made it through with my hand function intact and all
>of my numbness is on the side of my forearm. But for a long
>time I couldn't hold a guitar for more than 5 minutes or so
>and it's still uncomfortable if I play very long. I get a
>lot of enjoyment out of it, though! And it gets easier all
>the time.
>
>As for palm muting, it's a great technique but there are
>other ways to mute and other tones you can use. I can't palm
>mute at all with my Tricone, as the handrest covers the area
>of the strings right next to the bridge. If I touch them
>where I can, it mutes them completely very quickly, instead
>of giving that nice chunky tone. So I just don't do the palm
>muting thing on it. I can play the bass strings and then
>quickly "cut them off" with the heel of my thumb or mute
>with the left hand to give a quick staccato effect effect.

Hey thanks for the info man,it is slowly getting better,right after i got out of the hospital and started my rehibiltion, ( A MAN STARTED FOLLOWING MY SON AROUND,OR SHOULD I SAY STALKING HIM. He ( The Man ) offerd my son ( ROCK COCAIN )FOR A SEXUAL FAVOR,,ORAL SEX. I tryed to get help but i was told there was nothing they could do.So i took care of it myself to protect my family. In the process of protecting my son i rupture some pinns that was holding my arm together from the AUTO accident i was in a few years back.Thats when i started haveing muteing problems on my guitar. My son is SAFE now and im out of JAIL and the hospital and back ((( PLAYING DA BLUES,,GOD DAMMIT IM GOING TO SHINE REAL BRIGHT ONE DAY. Be seeing bro.

stoney
stoney
Regular

Postby stoney » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:20 pm

>You're liable to wind up playing better than you'd thought
>you could.
>
>Take it slow and enjoy the process, because the process is
>all there is anyway.

Allen i was in the studio this morning and a band member told me to put a ACE BANDAGE AROUND MY ARM and make sure i had it on tight. I tryed this and i got the shock of my life. The Ace Bandage ALLOWED MY TENDONS in my arm to respond without hurting and i melted my guitar in the studio playing after that because i felt no pain at all when i played my guitar.Dam i feel so good now that i can mute my guitar.I will be praticeing every day from now on. Thanks for your concern friend, people like you are a great help to blues players with problems take care man.

stoney
stoney
Regular

Postby stoney » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:23 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-04 AT 10:25 AM (EST)]>In lots of other domains of life I have often wished: "If I
>could only start over knowing what I know now."
>
>Why not music?

Hey David, i feel like ive just started playing with this ACE bandage around my arm. I will use this Bandage until i get my feelings back in my arm,hand. Thanks for your concern take care.

stoney
stoney
Regular

Postby dfduck » Sun May 23, 2004 9:03 pm

I gave up playing guitar after 41 years because of arthritis in my hands (because I've broken my hands so many times street fighting and boxing). After playing a couple hours, my left hand would swell up for 4 days and feel like someone hit it with a hammer. I went without playing guitar for a year and a half. Tried playing harmonica, but it just didn't fill the void like I hoped. Then I got a lap steel guitar, and can play it for hours and hours pain free. I had never played slide before, so I'm still new at it, and not that good at it, but at least I'm playing. I've got music inside me that "has to" come out somehow, and I can't sing. The past two months I have been playing a 2-string lap steel ukulele and having a blast with it.

Hope the ace bandage works out for ya. And next time you gotta take care of matters yourself, because U.S. law favors and sheilds criminials, do like I (used to) do.. use a baseball bat and save your arms and hands for making music.
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stoney » Sun May 23, 2004 11:19 pm

> I gave up playing guitar after 41 years because of
>arthritis in my hands (because I've broken my hands so many
>times street fighting and boxing). After playing a couple
>hours, my left hand would swell up for 4 days and feel like
>someone hit it with a hammer. I went without playing guitar
>for a year and a half. Tried playing harmonica, but it just
>didn't fill the void like I hoped. Then I got a lap steel
>guitar, and can play it for hours and hours pain free. I had
>never played slide before, so I'm still new at it, and not
>that good at it, but at least I'm playing. I've got music
>inside me that "has to" come out somehow, and I can't sing.
>The past two months I have been playing a 2-string lap steel
>ukulele and having a blast with it.
>
> Hope the ace bandage works out for ya. And next time you
>gotta take care of matters yourself, because U.S. law favors
>and sheilds criminials, do like I (used to) do.. use a
>baseball bat and save your arms and hands for making music.

Hey friend it was the strangest thing i have ever felt wanting to play my guitar so bad but could'nt it felt like i had lost a love one.I was hurt bad in that auto accident,i was hurt up real bad. Then the real PAIN settled in and i was going insane from the wanting of my guitar. But friend i feel the same way you do,,EVEN with pain all over my body,i still had my music on my mind,Thank you very much my friend for sharing the above info about yourself,,peace to you friend.

stoney
stoney
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Mon May 24, 2004 12:38 am

>Hey thanks for the info man,it is slowly getting
>better,right after i got out of the hospital and started my
>rehibiltion, ( A MAN STARTED FOLLOWING MY SON AROUND,OR
>SHOULD I SAY STALKING HIM. He ( The Man ) offerd my son (
>ROCK COCAIN )FOR A SEXUAL FAVOR,,ORAL SEX. I tryed to get
>help but i was told there was nothing they could do.

er, can't 'buddy' be charged with Soliciting A Minor? (or just soliciting if your son is older than 18).

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!