Partscaster build #2 (Completed photos)

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Partscaster build #2 (Completed photos)

Postby birddog » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:18 pm

When I built my Tele I bought 2 necks from Warmoth. One was for the Tele, the other for a cheap Chinese Strat I was hoping to make into a better player.
That proved to me more work than it was worth. The neck hole pattern was so much different it wouldn't have been covered by the neck plate an would have meant a complete refinish. The neck pocket was also routed for a flat heel. After much contemplating and of course watching ebay for a while I decided to source another body for the project.
After reading a talking with other forum members on quality I decided on a Mighty Mite Ash body.
For the most part I'm pretty happy with it. Wasn't without issue but pretty simple to deal with. Again neck holes off, as you can see I had already doweled them and was letting the glue dry in the photo. Re-located and re-drilled the next day.
Back
Everything else was fine. You know I don't understand these companies. advertised as northern hardwood likely from my state from their ads. Machined in Asia and shipped back here. At a price less than a cheap wood Router. :blink: :wha:

With the neck holes redrilled I mounted the neck and got ready to mount the bridge. Marked off the centerline, measured from the nut made some pencil marks 90 degrees to make sure everything square. Using a new Fender Vintage Tremelo bridge assy guy on the bay took my offer for $35.
Quit for the day with the holes just marked, used a spring loaded center punch to just in-dent the holes and took it back apart so I could start my grainfilling of the body. My pickgaurd wasn't here yet and wanted it before drilling the bridge holes.
After grainfilling, sanding back the body the grain filler stuck in the dimpled bridge mounting holes like little dots and easy to see.
Meanwhile my pickgaurd arrived so I decided to re-assemble and double check everything. The pickgaurd laid up there pretty good with where the bridge is supposed to mount and my holes were dead on so I mounted the bridge, the claw and streched some springs although I don't know yet if I will block this tremelo or make it fully functional yet. Pickgaurd is a little cheesy at the Humbucker hole, don't know why they cut it square when the corners could have been rounded. (it was cheap):roll: Probably order one from Warmoth and build it up for down the road the way I want it but for now we will work on getting a nice playing action and set up. Strung both E strings double checking the neck and stuff for square and everything is good.
Put together and ready to tear apart again for the refinish.
At this point I get a little hesitant and him-haw deciding on a finish. Wish I had half a dozen bodies around to play with. This one is kinda telling me 3 tone Sunburst. Pearl white pickgaurd and 3 tone sunburst is pretty sexy.
Could be 2 tone sunburst and build the other pickgaurd black, hmmm... decisions decisions
I'll post refinishing photos when I decide as I go.

Wally
Last edited by birddog on Tue May 25, 2010 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
birddog
Regular

Re: Partscaster build #2 (Strat)

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Hey Wally,
Have you noticed how flat black is kinda popular now? :lol:
Don't do it, I'm just kiddin'.
Making up your mind about what color to commit to, can get overwhelming.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:56 am

You definitely want a transparent finish for that amazing grain. Maybe butterscotch?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby birddog » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Its transparent to show the grain. Refinishing is underway.
Pictures coming soon !

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby birddog » Sun May 02, 2010 1:18 am

Had this typed once and all the pics added and lost it.
I'm tired, I'll try and add the photos again but not all the story lines.
Grainfilled and dyed.
Honey amber Transtint dye, followed up by a rattle can of Deft sanding sealer.
Kinda liked it but couldn't leave it as it wasn't in the original concept.
birddog
Regular

Postby birddog » Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 am

I hate it when you lose your connection, gotta do the play by play 8)
The original concept was a 3 tone sunburst for the most part but for none my grain filler is too dark for a traditional 3 tone and most of those are Alder bodies and they don't need grain filling. Ash needs grain filling or the grain will forever soak up the lacquer and I don't like to feel any grain in the surface.
I want the finished product smooth as glass. 8) The sanding sealer is high solids and completes filling all the pores.

Then I mixed up 8 oz of thinner and 4 oz of clear, added 100 drops of Transtint Red dye for a candy apple red. Opened up the spray gun cabinent I haven't been into since I did one for Big Nick, pulled out my small touch up gun, sprayed some test patterns and proceeded to fog in the edges.
Followed by a can of Deft Clear gloss lacquer.
Came out kinda like a Fender Sienna Sunburst on steriods.
Front
And the back

Sprayed it using an old engine stand put my neck support in it and turn it any way I wanted, worked out good
Last edited by birddog on Sun May 02, 2010 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
birddog
Regular

Postby birddog » Sun May 02, 2010 1:45 am

So now I'm kinda diggin it the way it is, should I add the black or not ?
The weather turned rainy and humid and not good for painting so I wet sanded it down so it would either be ready to add the black or do a final Clear Coat.
While wet sanded I had to lay the pick gaurd on it to get a better visual to make up my mind.
The wet sanding kept the glare down for the camera but couldn't get the natural light of the sun.

The pick gaurd assy is kinda cheesy, its from GFS and the rear humbucker route is squared off instead of rounded. Don't know why they did this, couldn't have been more labor intensive, sure its from China, it only cost me a whopping $33 so I'm not expecting much but I needed something to get this project going. Figure I can order another pick gaurd and I need a pearl white back plate from Warmoth and build a pick gaurd with the pick ups and pots and switches I want to replace it down the road.

But the question, leave it or add the black :?

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun May 02, 2010 7:38 am

Don't add the black :!: :!: :!:

That Sienna Sunburst is awesome!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bow » Tue May 04, 2010 2:39 am

That 2-tone burst is killer!

Don't do the black!

Where did you get the pickgaurd? GFS? I have a set of hot single coils from them waiting to go in...

I have a '93 American Standard Strat that i want to swap pickups in, but I want a pearloid pickguard..

I figure I'll pull the stock pickguard out, electronics and all, and drop in the replacement one... that way is is always easy to go back to stock...
bow
Contributor
Contributor

Postby birddog » Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 am

bow wrote:That 2-tone burst is killer!

Don't do the black!

Where did you get the pickgaurd? GFS? I have a set of hot single coils from them waiting to go in...

I have a '93 American Standard Strat that i want to swap pickups in, but I want a pearloid pickguard..

I figure I'll pull the stock pickguard out, electronics and all, and drop in the replacement one... that way is is always easy to go back to stock...

Thanks for the kind words.
It was 15 -1 when I posted the same question on another forum so I'll leave it this way and do the final clearing and try to wait the recommended 30 days till polishing and assembley.

Yes I got this whole pick gaurd assy the way it sits from GFS, in a pinch for cash (never ordered anything for them before) off ebay for $33 like I said.
Noramlly they sell for $37.50 I see from their website.
I have no idea how it sounds yet, Jay's website says "perfect upgrade for Squire" but also says "these are not OUR pickups" so it is a crap shoot and like I said I don't like the coutout around the Hummer.

What I figured is I will get it playable while building a higher quality pickgaurd w/better pickups that can be dropped in later. I will probably order it from Warmoth as you can get it built the way you want AND I need to get a pearliod back cover plate and can't find one anywhere (don't think even fender makes one)
I kinda wanted to go with Rio Grande pickups. Tallboy in the neck, Halfbreed in the neck and if I don't keep the Humbucker in the bridge probably a Muy Grande in the Bridge if I keep the Hummer maybe something else.
Not sure on what wiring set up yet.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby birddog » Mon May 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Ok its back to work. Normally they say let this Nitro cure for 30 days but since the whole process took more than that between layers of color and clear and the fact that the final Clearcoat was 2 weeks ago I felt I was good. I periodically put it out in the warm sun a few times to let the Ultraviolet rays of the sun do their job and couldn't smell the lacquer fumes gassing off anymore.
Felt it was good to go, here is the body wetsanded, buffed, polished to a smooth as glass, mirror like finish.

Oh yeah, shielded the pick up and control cavities also

While I was waiting for the finish to cure, I went ahead and finished off the headstock on the neck. I installed my waterslide decal and buried it with nitro.
Installed my Grover tuners and string tree.

Heres a close up

I need to pick up some strings this week then I can start to set up my tremelo, and re-read my "How to make your Electric Guitar Play Great" book :wink:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed May 19, 2010 4:04 pm

That looks great! Are you gonna load it up HSH, HSS, or SSS?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed May 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Nice job on the decals.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby birddog » Sat May 22, 2010 12:47 am

zhyla wrote:Nice job on the decals.

Thanks Zhyla,
A guy on ebay out of NY makes those water slide decals and they are the real deal, made on a lazer printer and much nicer than the ones I can make on an ink jet. Gives you an extra one incase you mess it up too.

Lefty
Starting out with the HSS configureation like in one of the previous photos.
Nice thing about these modern routed bodies though lots of options incase I want to go a different direction.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: Partscaster build #2 (Completed photos)

Postby birddog » Tue May 25, 2010 3:32 pm

Finished it up last nite, well everything but getting the innotation set but its real close with just a clip on tuner. :wink:
My 99 cent tremelo cover plate arrived yesterday in the mail. :lol:
Bright sun probably wasn't the best choice for photos, bad enough trying to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Its been fun, now I can spend the summer playing and practicing :mrgreen:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Next

Return to Equipment Blues