Acoustic Guitar for Small Hands?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Acoustic Guitar for Small Hands?

Postby zhyla » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 pm

A thinner neck profile may help. I seem to remember an Ibanez acoustic-electric I had early one having a very slim neck. It wasn't a particularly good guitar but I'm sure they make something higher end than I had that is worth checking out. A thinner nut width is not necessarily going to help much since we're talking about an 1/8" variation there.

My guess is you probably just need to work at the barre chords for another 6 months or so.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby hollywoodmark » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:12 pm

I can think of lots worse ways to spend 6 months.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Location: South Florida, where the 'gators are hungry and the blues are hot

Postby hollywoodmark » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Buffalo Bill might be onto something re the price you pay for a smaller guitar. Yesterday I stumbled across a lovely Luna acoustic (the line is made for women and folks with small hands) that fit my hands perfectly. But it had no sound whatsoever, even with heavier-gauge strings than I'm used to. My Washburn is currently wearing 10s, and the sound is full and LOUD. I may just stick with what I have and resign myself to some serious woodshedding.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 pm

hollywoodmark wrote:My Washburn is currently wearing 10s, and the sound is full and LOUD. I may just stick with what I have and resign myself to some serious woodshedding.
This may cost a little but it will work. If you like the sound of your Washburn, ask a luthier how much to shave down the neck and make it more narrow for your hands. Why not? I would call that serious wood shedding. :wink:
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby hollywoodmark » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am

Good idea. I know just the guy. I'll look into it.
hollywoodmark
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:06 am

I have an Epiphone EL00 which has a very slim neck depth-wise and a nut width of 1 11/16". It also has a slightly shorter scale length of 24 3/4" which makes the strings a tad easier to fret. They are very good value for money. The newer Chinese ones are better than the earlier Korean made ones - there were a few design mods done at the changeover including a slight change of body shape and mini Grover tuners. They have a solid spruce top and laminated mahogany b&s. They are a great little blues guitar and have a superb sunburst finish. Mine is faultlessly finished. For best results I would recommend a change of the plastic nut and saddle for bone.
ricbleu
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:57 pm

My Art & Lutherie Ami has a slim neck (front to back) and the fretboard isn't very wide.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricbleu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:55 am

Those A&L parlor guitars are superb. I tried one in a music shop and was very impressed with the clarity of tone. I have the classical version, La Patrie Motif which I gig with quite a bit (not classical music btw, just a different blues improv "feel" with nylon). Another product superbly finished and presented.
ricbleu
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues