Is there no love for Carvin ?

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Is there no love for Carvin ?

Postby birddog » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:29 pm

I've been thinking about getting a small PA for quite some time. Haven't seen anything I trusted on CL and really don't want to go ebay. Thought about new but have to keep it $500 or less and want some quality. Mostly for small acoustic venues, paly music through at parties and weddings and such. Light and portable is the key. I realize with shipping it would put me slightly over the budget.
Someone suggested this.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/s ... 10&cid=101

Don't see much from them anymore, although several artists used to use them. Don't see places like MF carry anything from them.

Whats up, thought they were fairly highly regarded ?

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: Is there no love for Carvin ?

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:47 pm

Everybody loves a bargain, they ain't got none. :|
Better looking guitars than 30 years ago when I first found out about them. Well made, nice stuff, but just high end copies of Gibson or Fender. Their line up of guitars looks no different than low priced Chinese stuff, not inspiring. Those high prices suck out any interest I might feel.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:22 pm

I can't speak to that model PA. I do have a couple 2-15 w/horn PA speaker units that are nice. A friend has one of their tube amps that he loves. Our band used to have a bass player that played one of their basses but I don't know if he bought it new or not.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:54 am

My friend has a Carvin pa head I think it is like 8 or 10 channels 800 watts 250-250-300. He uses ut with 2 JBL 15" 2 way PA speakers. It sounds as nice as my Yamaha PA. I also have a Carvin Nomad amp. I love it. The carvin stuff is nice. I would buy one without hesitation.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby birddog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks Blueswrench57
I haven't heard anything about lack of quality on any of their gear, amps & PA's that people have some have been in service for decades. On other forums people that have their guitars seem to love them as well, only a couple of people that have played them say something about lack of mojo. :?
Alot of people seem to like the fact about them being made in the good old USA, a hard thing for other companies to still do these days.
Seems like they have been around since just before Leo sold out to CBS.
Could be out here east of the dividing line it could be more popular out west.

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Everybody loves a bargain, they ain't got none. :|
Better looking guitars than 30 years ago when I first found out about them. Well made, nice stuff, but just high end copies of Gibson or Fender. Their line up of guitars looks no different than low priced Chinese stuff, not inspiring. Those high prices suck out any interest I might feel.
Bill

I dunno Bill, if you look at some of their kit guitars if their stuff is of good quality and everything is included its on par with or less than what I'm putting in to the guitars I building.
With sale discounts also on par with what MF runs on some of the junk stuff lines they sell.
Their guitar custom shop stuff has to be on par with Fender and prices are in line also.
Guys I have talked to seem to lust for their carved tops as much or more than a Les Paul & most of these guys think nothing about spending a grand or more on one of those and considering the way alot of folks feel about Gison these days maybe that says something.
I have yet to lay my hands on or touch one around here though, but have seen numerous PA's and a few amps.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 pm

birddog wrote:Whats up, thought they were fairly highly regarded ?

Wally
Wally, your last post to me seems to answer your original question.
I had another look at their site, and saw the guitar kits and prices. Over all yes their prices are comparable to Gibson and Fender. But still, their stuff is modeled to resemble Gibson and Fender guitars. Some of it even resembles entry level Peavey instruments.
Off topic trivia: I read their history page, but I can't understand how they only employ 100 people?
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby wanderingyankee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:15 pm

hard to take 'em seriously after years of seeing this stuff...

wanderingyankee
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:10 pm

I remember them from the late 70's, and their maple bodied copies of the Les Paul Jr.
All monkey see, monkey copy. :roll:
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby goldbrick » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:10 pm

I have only tried their amps and they sounded good and appeared to be well made. However prices seem a bit high . My Peavey classic 30 was much less than the comparable Carvin
goldbrick
Regular

Postby Alton » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 am

birddog wrote:I've been thinking about getting a small PA for quite some time. Haven't seen anything I trusted on CL and really don't want to go ebay. Thought about new but have to keep it $500 or less and want some quality. Mostly for small acoustic venues, paly music through at parties and weddings and such. Light and portable is the key. I realize with shipping it would put me slightly over the budget.
Someone suggested this.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/s ... 10&cid=101

Don't see much from them anymore, although several artists used to use them. Don't see places like MF carry anything from them.

Whats up, thought they were fairly highly regarded ?

Wally

I wouldn't call Carvin PA gear highly regarded but would be comfortable with it being usable.

To be honest a $500 budget won't get you much. You might consider a used Fender Passport system if you're just doing a solo gig with acoustic guitar. If you need something a bit more then you can expect to at least double your budget. A source I've used on occasions when the budget is tight and I need gear is American Musical Supply. they offer a 3-pay plan for items/orders OVER $249.00. You will need a credit or debit card and you will have to pay a $3.95 processing fee on the first payment. Sweetwater offers a similar plan but with a $10.00 processing fee. Zzounds offers a 4-pay plan and they also want your social security number.

For bargain hunting, American Musical supply has the NEW DAY NEW DEAL. You can get this daily on a news reader or go visit their site. Musician's Friend offers the Stupid Deal of the Day. You can get this on your news reader or by visiting their site daily. Guitar Center has email deals. they send out notice of sales along with coupons and each of their stores has used gear for sale. Sometimes the used stuff is a bargain.
Alton
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues