stick it down your pants

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

stick it down your pants

Postby socket wrench » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:22 pm

OK so I think I heard someone mention this somewhere on this site a long time ago....

I wanted to get rid of the hum from the floating kent armstrong pup, so I put a wire from the ground on the volume pot and attached it to a key and stuck the key down the side of my pants. Now there is hardly any hum at all.
socket wrench
Regular

Re: stick it down your pants

Postby zhyla » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Never heard that but I think what you really want to do is ground it to the strings.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:40 pm

That will work, but watch out for somebodies did it themselves receptacle wiring. They may have no concept of polarity, and like ouch!
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby socket wrench » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:57 am

I understand about wiring it to the strings, but as the volume and jack are not attached to the guitar it's a bit different, they are in a pouch which is hung on my belt so it's out of the way.

To stop the hum you'd have to always be incontact with the strings, which you aren't all the time, but I do understand. And it is wired up correctly, this I have made sure of. I don't want to be one of those people that get talked about, 'oh there was this guy who....' :P
socket wrench
Regular

Postby socket wrench » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:59 am

Also if it is not attched to the guitar I have the option of using it if needed. Sometimes, depending on the amp, situation, etc, I might not need it.
socket wrench
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues