why god gave me a harmonica

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Postby watertore » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:40 am

I recorded these tonight. My princeton reverb amp started crackling, lost gain, and started sounding like heavy metal. So, I am without a guitar amp and had to run it direct into a recording preamp. It sounds better than I thought it would. I am going to be without the amp for who knows how long, so I have some new stuff to experiment with! I think I read somewhere that the motown guitars and basses were run direct as well. Walter

ease my love down on her
let your hair down baby
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: why god gave me a harmonica

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:36 am

Could be as simple as needing a new 12AX7.
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:21 pm

really? The way it is crackling, losing volume, and distorting, I figured it was something more than a tube. It is a reissue princeton and still under warranty. I am no techno man but can try that tube swap. I have some extras laying around. Can I take one out, turn on the amp, and if it stops, I know it is that tube or is there a certain way to test for it? Thanks!!! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:01 pm

You can freely swap out "preamp" tubes. No worries about biasing and such. Just watch that you line the pins up right, don't force them. Might not fix the problem, but if it does you're good as gold, and if it doesn't that's one thing you've eliminated. For that matter, even if you have an amp that needs biasing of power tubes, a quick trial of tube swapping won't hurt anything and can help to isolate the problem. Power tubes go out more frequently than the preamps.
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:29 pm

thanks ricochet! I found the main tube and one of the other power tubes were bad. I have it back running and ordered a matched set from Eurotubes. I can't believe the cheap crap tubes they make today. When I was playing full time, using black face amps (weren't considered collectible yet) I could go the whole time I owned the amp without a tube problem. They only tube problems I had in my 20 year full time career were when one would fall out and the amp sounded weird. I would look in the back and see the problem, put it back in, and done. I have bought a deluxe reverb and princeton reverb reissue amps over the past 6 years and both have had the tubes go bad in a couple years! I play it about 20-30 hours a week. I put erotubes in the deluxe and it sounded great. I sold it soon afterwards to get the smaller princeton. So, I am not sure if those tubes would go any longer than the crap ones they put in the amp from the factory. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:56 am

The new tubes really aren't as good quality as they used to be. But you can get 'em cheap if you want to, and they're easy to change. Learning to bias an amp isn't hard either, but I think amps ought to be plug and play for tube changes.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bottleneck » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm

that's one of the things i like about my pro junior as opposed to my bassman or other amps,no bias!!love that class A ease.

so rico,it doesn't hurt an amp that needs biasing ,like a princeton,to swap power tubes?

www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:40 pm

It isn't likely to hurt it to try some new tubes for a bit to see if that was the cause of the bad sound, but if you have one of the fixed bias Princetons that require bias adjustment (that sounds like an oxymoron, but it's true), it will need biasing when you install new tubes. And of course if you see tube plates getting red or other signs of excessive heat, shut it down.
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:52 pm

I got my harmonica at a music store. Pretty dull, huh. :lol:
NEONMOONY
Regular

Return to Blues Harp