standard tuning - to D not E

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

standard tuning - to D not E

Postby paulmc » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:51 pm

(I posted this as a reply, but I think it's better as it's own post)

One trick it took me years to realize was that John Fogerty (Creedence Clearwater Revival) used a guitar tuned to D - but with a standard arrangement (D G C F A D), not open. (e.g.; Forutnate Son, Proud Mary, Midnight Special)

I was watching the American Folk Blues Vol 3 DVD last night, and Skip James did the same thing on the two songs he performs (All Night Long, Crow Jane). He most often did open D (open D minor?) but in this case it was standard - but tuned to D.

-- PaulMc
paulmc
Regular

RE: standard tuning - to D not E

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:53 pm

Yeah, Skippy was known for playing in D minor, but not everything he recorded was done that way.

I've used that tuning (standard down a full step) when I wanted to play something in "standard" tuning on my Johnson with the fat Martin reso strings. It will tune up to standard, I've done it, and Jason tuned his up to Open A minor to play with me last night (I was using the Tele with .012-.052" strings), but it makes me nervous. Made me nervous sitting in front of him while he did it last night.
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:11 pm

There's a volume III American Folk Blues CD!?!?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby paulmc » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:14 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-04 AT 02:24 PM (EST)]DVD.

Yup, I was surprised too. I think it just came out. It's great - Bukka White, Son House, Skip James ... and Dr. Isaiah Ross - where did he come from? Why didn't I ever hear him before? Guitar backwards, strings upsidedown, harmonica in a neck brace *and* a bass drum!

It was released Aug 31.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ance&s=dvd
paulmc
Regular

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!