Another from downunder

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Another from downunder

Postby ricbleu » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:32 am

Hi people - I thought I'd posted an introduction yesterday but I must have done something wrong. So I'll say again how good this forum looks - very friendly and co-operative and very diverse in its range. I live in Dunedin, New Zealand and have been a blues player since I was at high school in the sixties. I started with harp and vocals then added guitar. I was fortunate to coincide with the British blues boom so early role models were Clapton and Peter Green (especially) before finding my way back through Buddy and BB to the real old delta men. I love it all, from urban electric to stripped down acoustic. I've recently discovered slide playing for myself and made a lap steel which is just sooo much fun exploring the new "voices". I thank you all for the enjoyment and information I've already gained from the forum and look forward to lots more. Rick.
ricbleu
Regular

Re: Another from downunder

Postby ricbleu » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:39 am

Sorry, just discovered that I'd posted my self-intro as a reply. Duh! Thanks, Ricochet, for your welcome. If I may say so, you have a very welcoming smile. :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:22 am

Thanks!
ricochet
Regular

Postby Neal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:31 am

Hi!
Neal
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:22 am

Welcome aboard :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:37 am

Welcome Bro!
This question popped into my head because you mentioned learning to play lap steel, sometimes also referred to as a Hawaiian guitar.
Is Hawaiian music popular over in NZ?
Bill (Former resident of Honolulu)
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:12 am

ricbleu wrote:Sorry, just discovered that I'd posted my self-intro as a reply. Duh! Thanks, Ricochet, for your welcome. If I may say so, you have a very welcoming smile. :D

Wait till he shows you his Johnson.

Welcome.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:53 am

You want to see my Johnson? Here:

ricochet
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 am

Pur-leese, Rico. You know how contagious GAS is! I am barely holding off Weissenborn GAS and now you show me this!! :mrgreen: Actually, I've watched some of your vids on You tube so I've seen you and your mastery of that beautiful instrument. Congratulations on both your playing and your ownership.

And Bill, I honestly couldn't comment about Hawaiian music in NZ. I'd guess that there's a strong following though, especially further north where the Polynesian population is greater, although I suppose it's more Samoan drum based music. I just play the blues on my new electric lapy and also on a home converted resonator acoustic (which I wouldn't dare show Ricochet) as well as my Larrivee L03R six string (love it). As a matter of fact, I've just come back from the public Botanical Gardens near where I live, where frequently I take a guitar of some sort and sit and play under my favourite sycamore tree. I have built up quite a fan base of sparrows and thrushes and blackbirds and last week a couple of ducks wandered up to enjoy the blues according to Rick. It's nice to be so appreciated. :D

And forgive me for going on about it, but this forum just seems so embracing. It's humbling to think that you all spread this goodwill worldwide via cyberspace and I can access so many blues buddies so readily. :D :D
ricbleu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:54 am

Hey, there are lots of animals that seem to enjoy slide reso blues. My cats aren't among them.
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You