Web Tools

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

RE: Web Tools

Postby crackpot » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:35 am

First the bad news. Whatever you buy will be (a) too slow in 2 weeks, (b) available for less money in a month, and (c) obsolete in 18 months. But everybody knows that.

The good news is that it doesn't really matter. My home computer is a 4 year old 600 MHz P3 Dell and, for most of what I do (including most Photoshop stuff -- very processor/memory intensive), I hardly notice the difference between it and either the 2GHz P4 or the G4 Tower that I use at work (both of which are too slow and available for half what they cost new -- if you can find them). I've invested about $150 in added RAM (at about $20 per 250MB) and storage since I bought it.

I've built a lot of PCs myself and don't recommend that path anymore. You don't save any money and it can be frustrating and time-consuming, especially if you don't know what you're doing -- which you won't until your third or fourth build. You don't say why you don't want to go with Dell (I understand why you wouldn't want to go to WalMart) but I suggest you consider them. We buy hundreds of Dells, where I work; they are reliable and they will take care of you if you have a problem (which, in my experience, is unlikely).

Although it is beautiful, I'd wait a while before considering the iMac. The G5 looks like it might have some heat-related problems. It wouldn't be the first time for Apple. Once it's established that heat isn't a problem, though, I'm getting one.

As for Linux, unless you're more interested in the computer in and of itself than you are in a computer as a tool, I'd pass on it for now. It's not really very good for the desktop (trying hard not to be flamebait) and its great unspoken secret is that, until you know what you're doing (and it can take quite a while), you will be re-installing it *MUCH* more often than you re-install Windows. As a small server, Linux can't be beat. But that's not what you want.

I really encourage you to check out Dell. You can probably pick up a reasonable system and, given your budget, have enough left to get a decent USB recording interface and maybe even a mic or two -- so you can do something worthwhile with your computer.
crackpot
Regular

Postby badfinger » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:30 pm

My tongue is ever in my cheek, Rusty.

"BRB looks funky in FireFox", and Opera keeps jigg;ling about the screen as each page opens (and doesn't like Yahoo) is why I keep drifting back to IE.

Funny thing, tho': when Yahoo did their big "improvement", with 100Mb of email, etc, I lost contact with my Yahoo email service. It won't load, open, nor nothing! BUT - it does for Opera, which is bemoaned as being Yahoo unfriendly (or the other way 'round - Yahoo is Opera unfriendly).

Daft, I call it.
badfinger
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:04 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-04 AT 09:04 AM (EST)]>My tongue is ever in my cheek, Rusty.

Well, you were right, sort of... maybe, grrrRRRrrr.

>"BRB looks funky in FireFox", and Opera keeps jigg;ling
>about the screen as each page opens (and doesn't like Yahoo)
>is why I keep drifting back to IE.

Well, there's not exactly a binary, or even source, version of IE for Linux that I know of, so the options are limited. I tried BRB in FireFox on my Mac last night, and it rendered fine. I only have trouble here (work) with websites that are light print on dark backgrounds, so part of it is the monitor (horrid piece of rubbish old-PC gamma).

>Funny thing, tho': when Yahoo did their big "improvement",
>with 100Mb of email, etc, I lost contact with my Yahoo email
>service. It won't load, open, nor nothing! BUT - it does
>for Opera, which is bemoaned as being Yahoo unfriendly (or
>the other way 'round - Yahoo is Opera unfriendly).

>Daft, I call it.
yes. Google's new [link:gmail.google.com|GMAIL] is done entirely in JavaScript. You're a bit screwed if you use Lynx, a text-reader or a PDA for your browsing.

My client wonders why I won't use JavaScript on the application I'm developing for him; "Because." is the easy answer.

I spent all afternoon yesterday fixing something due to the first non-rendering IE bug I'd found... it sends the wrong information back to the server (most IE bugs simply mangle stuff on the client's end, and are fixable layout issues, but this [em]broke[/em] the server's functionality.)

Bah. IE7 is coming with Longhorn. woo-hoo.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby badfinger » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:55 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-04 AT 12:56 PM (EST)]Meanwhile, if you want to make IE almost as fast as (and maybe as fast as) Opera or Firefox, do this (in Regedit, of course).

Go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Internet Settings>

In the right hand window of RegEdit there are two strings named MaxConnectionsPerServer and MaxConnectionsPerl_OServer. (If these are not there then add them manually - see below*).

Click on the first one, MaxConnectionsPerServer, and then with the right mouse button select Modify.
Change the Value data to 6. (or 10, or 60...)
Make sure that Decimal is selected to the right (but only important if the value you put in is greater than 10).
Click ok.

Repeat for the other registry entry: MaxConnectionsPerl_OServer.

That's it. There is no need to reboot. But your IE is now supercharged.

*If one or both of these registry entries is not present, then you will have to add them manually. To do this move the mouse over to some white space in the right hand side of the registry editor. Right click and select the 'new' option, and then select 'DWORD Value'. Now enter MaxConnectionsPerServer as the string name and then press the return key. Repeat this process for MaxConnectionsPerl_OServer as the string name.
badfinger
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:01 pm

>Although it is beautiful, I'd wait a while before
>considering the iMac. The G5 looks like it might have some
>heat-related problems. It wouldn't be the first time for
>Apple. Once it's established that heat isn't a problem,
>though, I'm getting one.

An approach I've taken is to buy what was the hottest thing last year, at a big discount. The thing'll still work pretty well for a good while.

I'm glad so many people like LCD screens. I've gotten some terrific deals on nice CRT monitors.
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:10 pm

>Meanwhile, if you want to make IE almost as fast as (and
>maybe as fast as) Opera or Firefox, do this (in Regedit, of
>course).

<snipped horrid horrid recipe suitable for witches>

gaa! eek! tell me [em]again[/em] why you are willing to jump through such hoops, but not to simply switch to a better OS?

Rico: I used to get nasty headaches after working with a CRT like the one in the G3 iMacs and a lot of PCs I've had to work with over the years, which have completely disappeared since switching to an LCD that I got at the same time as the G5.

As for waiting to get it, I'd wait just long enough for all the eager beavers to find all the problems with it. I suspect it will be as quiet and as cool as Apple says. My G5 tower is certainly both.

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind.

[a href="http://www.geocities.com/hocmaximesugit/" title="my portfolio" target="_BLANK" style="text-decoration:none"]hoc maxime sugit[/a]
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby fred » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:21 pm

Guys, thanks to all your input, I've started to take a more objective look at purchasing a new PC system. I spent my first session @ http://www.dell.com/usaw, at it appears that Dell could be the way to go for a no-pcbrain like me! The Diminsion 4600 or 8400 w/MSProOS, MSCombo, 4yrpremwrnty&4yraccdmgeins looks pretty conservative. Now that you fella's have pointed out potential options & caveats, it will be interesting to watch product costs/components up until the end of 2004. I will likely make my purchase during the holiday season or during 01/05--it appears that rebates & discounts are picking up steam! Again, without your help, I just would not have known where to start. I really like the Dell approach to "building" a "dream set-up." With the warranties/service options available, can a person go too wrong if he can manage the $ commitment? My sincere hope w/this thread is that there may be other readers who have & are gleaning helpful insights regarding potential PC related purchases.
Thanks Again!
Fred
fred
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:47 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-04 AT 06:55 PM (EST)]"gaa! eek! tell me again why you are willing to jump through such hoops, but not to simply switch to a better OS?"

Because I'm well and truly in hock to MS, as most (if not all) the accessory and utility software I own (and most of my peripherals) is driven through MS-oriented software.

Sticking with MS does have the advantage that if I want a free bit of software for a particular purpose, I can usually find it within a half hour of searching around. The most impressive so far is a suite of utilities that will rip dvd and vCD to mpg, split mpeg's and mp3s into segments (or join files), strip the audio from them to mp3 (or wav, or ogg...etc), and do it all without hassle or failure - and free. But it only works in Windows.

But tinkering with the registry to see what happens isn't "jumping through hoops" - it's playing. (And making the change I described takes about 3 minutes, less with the small .reg file I now have for it.)

As for browsers - at the moment, I'm running IE6, Firefox and Opera7, alternating between them, and so far, I still prefer IE (while willing to admit that familiarity might be a weighting factor).

One day I intend to try Linux, probably via Mr Murdoch's system; I'll probably install it in the laptop to play around with.

ps: I almost forgot...
Fred - Dell: the very first time I reinstalled Windows on my pc (having really buggered it up with tinkering) I hadn't a clue, but did it "clean", starting with re-formatting the HD. A Dell service lady sat with me on the 'phone - at their expense - talking me through the whole process, installing all the drivers and peripherals right through to the final re-start and checking of all sytems. I'll buy from them again.
badfinger
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!