fitting a pup to an archtop

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

fitting a pup to an archtop

Postby socket wrench » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:28 pm

I found an old 1954 archtop guitar from my local antique shop. It sounds great to me, but the thing is I'd like to use it live when I play with my drummer. This means getting a pup for it, plus all the other things....

I know I can buy a floating pup, that's ok. But it is the wiring up, and having a volume knob and jack socket that I've been thinking of.

I know I can attach these all to the pick guard, if I had one, which I don't.

So I wanted to know if I could do this;

I was going to have the floating pup in the normal place, then have the wire going to separate small box where the volume control plus jack socket would be. I can then just attach this to my guitar strap.

What I want to know is this possible or am I just being a bit daft :? I really don't want to mess around with the guitar at all. I also want to be able to remove the pup system and any electrics easliy if I do not need them.

Any thoughts would be great :)
socket wrench
Regular

Re: fitting a pup to an archtop

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:08 pm

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work. When I had a transducer stuck to my archtop, I just made a little mounting plate and put the knobs in the f-hole so I wouldn't have to drill anything, which worked alright, but I like this control box idea.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

I have plans for a rat guitar that consists of a pickup and a jack socket and a body/neck that nobody, even the most alky tramp, won't thieve. Volume/tones on the amp. What else do you actually need?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby socket wrench » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:26 am

Just wanted to say that I bought a Kent Armstrong floating pup, wired it up to a volume pot, then to the jack. I managed to use an old small foot pedal to house the volume and jack, and then this all fits nicely into a little pouch that I attach to my belt.

So the only holes I have are the 4 small ones in the neck that hold the pup.

There is no feed-back, there is a light hum, but nothing that I can't live with. So all in all I'm happy with how it has all turned out.

If I want to take the pup away all I have to do is undo the screws and it all comes away, and can all be kept safe in the pouch :)
socket wrench
Regular

Postby ricbleu » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:30 am

sw, I had a situation not too different from yours and I made an oak pickguard planed to about 2mm (3/32?) and used mini pots which I positioned on the pickguard so that they fitted into the f hole (just). The guitar already had screw holes for a pickguard so I didn't have to make any new ones in the top. It already had a hole cut for a humbucker in the neck position but I had to make that new pickguard. You'll be fitting the p/up as you've described but I mention this in case you can do the same as I did with respect of the mini pots and the f hole. Rick
ricbleu
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues