Tele bridge acoustic

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Tele bridge acoustic

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:09 am

I wanted to play my old acoustic now I have amp that suits the tone and pickup it's got through the Hacker, but it's been not quite right since I last "adjusted it". I have been given a Chinese Tele bridge, I used it to replace the under-and-over combi bridge I had in place, which was distorting the sound board. The 4 mounting screws have gone into the sound board and the reinforcing strip at the back of it. The bridge is held clear of the sound board at the back by strips of Meccano (USA Erector Set?) and the nose is propped up by a tap (faucet to you colonials) washer. I'm surprised, I expected the volume to be no better or actually worse than with the bridge being replaced, but it's rather splendid! It's given the guitar back it's real voice.

The pickup had to be lowered by 3 tads to clear the strings, not a difficulty as it had been raised to deal with a different height bridge and neck angle. As a plus the intonation, due to careful marking of the other bridge's alignment (r/h Tunomatics on a l/h guitar), was almost perfect at the first trial. The only thing left is to shim the top nut as there's just a little bit of buzz. Or I might take a little out of the truss rod tension. Don't know.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tele bridge acoustic

Postby birddog » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Interesting Max
Is this the brige with the 3 brass saddles or the chrome individual steel saddles ?
You can turn those set screws to better match your fret board radius you know and may be able to take out that faucet washer.

Around these parts they might call that hillbilly :mrgreen:

Wally
birddog
Regular

Re: Tele bridge acoustic

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

3 x twin saddles. I don't know if the metal in them can be dignified by the title "brass". The screws are set to give a compromise between the flat pickup and the curved neck. The plate has deformed at the front on it's least supported edge so now it touches the soundboard, and the wood of the guitar is adapting to the new directions of stresses, so I'll wait a bit before I adjust the nut height or the truss rod. I think the truss rod will be done, the neck is quite straight at the moment and there's a possibility it will ease to a slightly convex shape. I'll just watch how it goes.

Hillbilly? Here it's bodging, or at best, blacksmithing.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues