Need Recording Advice

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Need Recording Advice

Postby La.Blue » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm interested in the idea of doing a recording. I would like to sell it in a CD format at gigs and online and also as downloads. The first question that I would like the groups advice on is the legalities involved in recording arrangements of other peoples songs. I'm a little bit of a writer, but much more of an arranger and interpreter.

What do I need to know about royalties, etc...? Has a good book been published or is there a good website that covers this sort of thing?
La.Blue
Regular

Re: Need Recording Advice

Postby ricochet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:56 pm

There are lots of websites if you Google for "mechanical royalties" and "performance royalties," which are different animals.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 pm

There's a few ways to go - I've used the BMI website to look up and pay for song licenses. http://www.bmi.com/licensing/.

The site has changed every time I've used it, but it should be pretty easy to navigate.

There's a TON of info in "This Business Of Music", an annually updated guidebook to this sort of thing. The laws change pretty regularly, to make sure the right people - us artists - stay at least a LITTLE confused.

I think Grady has had some luck dealing directly with the holders of the Copyrights of songs he's recorded - more work, but possibly less of an outlay.

As for selling online - CD Baby has been GREAT to deal with and handles warehousing and mailing physical CD's, and MP3 downloads.
http://www.bmi.com/licensing/
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby La.Blue » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 am

I was vaguely aware that there were two different types of royalties Ric, but am not too clear on them. I'll have to do the research as you suggest.

I didn't know about "This business of Music" Dan. It looks like it might be a good place for me to start.

Thanks for the tips guys.
La.Blue
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:52 am

You can find a list of songs old enough to be in the Public Domain, and no longer restricted.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby La.Blue » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:36 pm

Yeah, Bill. I'd also thought of that. It'll just boil down to what I decide to record. With any luck some of them will be in the public domain :).
La.Blue
Regular

Return to Recording