"I wish I know'd that the pinky is

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

"I wish I know'd that the pinky is

Postby jean cailleux » Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:40 am

starting slide for a year with the pinky one
and change for the ring one cos it is a more sensitive finger for low pressure on strings to reach confortably's higher strings and to not rip off...

change pas de main, je sens que ça .......!!!(my wife).

jean
jean cailleux
Regular

RE:

Postby chillywilly » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:16 am

Jean, c'est un bon idee to keep working with the slide on the pinky
(although in the end, you'll probably go with what is most comfortable). The reason I say this is that I first used the slide on the ring finger, that was my natural inclination too (vraiment, it is the stronger finger) but with the slide on the pinky, it becomes possible to fret chords with 3 fingers behind the slide, and that opened up lots of possibilities. With practice it became natural. I vote for the pinky. There's some discussion of this in the archives here. One of my friends actually puts the slide on her index finger and frets chords with the other 3 above the slide. She's the only person I've seen do that.
-CWilly
chillywilly
Regular

RE: "I wish I know'd that the pinky

Postby allanlummox » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:43 am

Interesting...the first year I played Slide, I played with the slide on my ring finger.

But I find that the pinky works much better for me.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:44 am

A friend of mine...Guitar builder Dale Bluebond, now deceased...played with the slide on his index finger, too.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby deltablues57 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:30 am

I'm curious because many people have differnt ways of using the slide. Do you have the slide on the end of your finger or do you wear it all the way down covering the whole finger?
If you are just using the end of your finger (like it sounds that you are) you will have less control because your pinky is not strong enough to stabilize and control the slide . If you have the slide all the way down covering the whole finger down to the hand your hand controls the slide not you finger and you have a much more stable strong control of the slide.
deltablues57
Regular

Postby deltablues57 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 6:32 am

Dave Hole (from down under) uses the slide on his index finger and he uses it from over the top instead of from under the neck like most of us do.
deltablues57
Regular

RE:

Postby badfinger » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:05 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-02 AT 08:08 AM (CDT)]"...on the end of your finger or do you wear it all the way down covering the whole finger?"

Mine have always been on my pinky, and are at least 60mm long to reach the end. In fact it's a sort of "splint cum surface-enhancer" for the finger: if I could ossify the finger, or strip it to the bone (without detriment to other functions or comfort), my needs would be admirably met. (Perhaps a more appropriate soubriquet would be "bonefinger"... "Bad-BoneFinger"?... "Bone-badfinger"..."Bad To The Bonefinger"?... )

bf
badfinger
Regular

RE:

Postby allanlummox » Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:44 pm

I prefer a close-fitting slide...my favorite being a 9/16 socket...which I wear ofer the end joint of my pinky. I like slides wide enough to cover all 6 strings.

And, Bonefinger, I like a little weight to my slides...adds tone, and helps with the vibrato. I'm afraid that stripping the flesh off my hand would make it less substantial.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

RE:

Postby chillywilly » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:41 am

BadFing, I always knew you were "Bad to the Bone". But like most of us I'll keep the flesh on the fing and use my glass or brass instead. LOL! ;-)
Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

RE:

Postby alexjay » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:37 am

Hmm. And, playing like a monster, would you be a "Demon With a Glass Hand"?

(This is what I get for having the Harlan Ellison and Big Road Blues message boards open at the same time ...)
alexjay
Regular

RE:

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:12 am

I've just about completely switched from the pinky to the ring finger. I agree with Jean about its advantages. Plus, now you can fret (or mute) AHEAD of the slide with the pinky, and you have a greater reach for chording with the index, middle and little fingers. (It is tricky keeping that ring finger slide out of the way, however.) Had I not long used my pinky for sliding, though, it wouldn't be nearly as handy for other uses. Sliding built up the strength and dexterity of my pinky tremendously.

These are certainly not the only fingers you can slide with, of course. You can slide with the index finger and use that for barring the strings to play any standard barre chord if you like. I've seen Bonnie Raitt play with the slide on her middle finger.
ricochet
Regular

RE:""I wish I know'd that the pinky

Postby jean cailleux » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:29 pm

hi
you're right man
she's pointing her metal middle finger to the "Macho audience"

see ya
jean cailleux
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:36 pm

>she's pointing her metal middle finger to the "Macho
>audience"

:7
ricochet
Regular

Postby ideot » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:11 pm

if I am in an open tuning playing a primarily slide song, I'll play it on my stronger ring or even middle finger. If i'm playing in standard tuning, i.e. lots of chords, I'll keep it on my pinky to accentuate solos.
ideot
Regular

Postby badfinger » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:35 pm

But if God had wanted us to do anything else but slide, and with a slide on our pinky, she wouldn't've given us them in the first place...

bf
badfinger
Regular

Next

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!