Help with mounting a pickup on my resonator

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Re: Help with mounting a pickup on my resonator

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:42 pm

This piece of shit really just doesn't want to work. I've grounded it everywhere I can and the hum will still not go away. I even tried different pots and different jacks, just in case one of them was bad. Still, it won't work. I used a multimeter to check all of my connections and everything is as it should be. No cold joints, wiring is done up properly, it's grounded where it should be, and it won't stop humming. I don't understand how I manage to screw this stuff up every time I do it. :roll:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:10 am

Well, you do need some local help. Try to find some friendly help from a professional electrician or electronic serviceman. This is old school circuitry so an old guy will know, a computer geek won't have a clue.
Ask around for some electrical help.
PS. Don't even think about buying an old motorcycle. :lol:
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:51 pm

So I went down to the shop today to pick up my Agile and took my resonator. Sure enough, my tech knew exactly what to do right away. :D I had tried running a ground from the back of the volume pot to pretty much everywhere I could on the guitar and it didn't work. He suggested that I run a wire from the ground wire on the pickup to the back of the coverplate. I did that and it works perfect. And it sounds badass! :mrgreen: I'll try and get a video up tomorrow. For the finishing touches, I added a cream chickenhead knob for the volume. It looks pretty neat!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Great Lefty!
Will be glad to see a video of the guitar too.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Neal » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Well, it's still an alive topic, so pictures are still probably wanted. This is my Estralita with a Flatbucker, go to http://www.buskerguitars.co.uk/ and Robin will treat you VERY well. It's a good pickup, but use nickel or white bronze (I don't know about white bronze, but it was recommended to me). The pickup is very hot, I don't need a preamp with it.

Neal
Regular

Previous

Return to Equipment Blues