The Opposite of GAS - Simplicity is Bliss

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

The Opposite of GAS - Simplicity is Bliss

Postby bignick » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Well I know I haven't posted on here in a long time but I've had some major shifts happening lately. Two major things: 1) My wife is pregnant with our first and she is due in May 2) I discovered traditional bowhunting and am absolutely hooked.

As a result of these life-altering events (the first one primarily) I've had to sell a lot of my gear. I was really upset about this at first but seemed to feel better with every instrument I sold.

I had 9 guitars, 1 lap steal, a mandolin, and a dobro. I now have 3 guitars and a mandolin: My MIM Dave Gilmour strat clone, my Alvarez Fusion acoustic, Frankenbeard - my Beard Goldtone Reso, and my Danville mandolin aka "Danny Boy".

I've never felt better in my life. My instruments all cover what I want to cover and they are getting PLAYED - the mandolin moreso than the guitars right now but I go through phases. I LOVE the mandolin.

Life changing event number 2 also played a major roll in my thinning of the herd. As a traditional bowhunter I hunt with very little gadgetry - just my longbow, arrows, and myself. It is a very simple, natural, primitive way to hunt and it made me realize that I really didn't need tons of gear to do what I need to do. One day I was sitting in the woods during deer season and thought "Why did I make the decision to hunt this way and want every gadget known to man for playing music?"

I think I'm a changed man lol. I know I'll never have more than 4 instruments, a tube amp, and a handful of pedals again.
bignick
Regular

Re: The Opposite of GAS - Simplicity is Bliss

Postby zhyla » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:08 pm

That's pretty awesome. I've gone from 10 to 5 guitars. Lack of space and time since the little one arrived last year. My telecaster is really the only thing that gets touched right now. It's really the only electric I need, but it's nice to play the old Univox hollowbody late at night with a bit of reverb.... mmm :).

Your bowhunting sounds complicated. I hunt in traditional caveman fasion, with a big rock.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Congratulations on your baby!

I'm waiting for the day where I become as enlightened as you and realize that I don't need all the stuff I have. What all do you hunt with your bow? I was thinking about trying to hunt turkeys with a bow. Seems like good fun to me.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bignick » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Lefty I was an absolute gear whore 4 or 5 years ago at your age. I've bought and sold more guitars than I would care to admit.

I'm finding out there isn't much you CAN'T hunt with a bow lol.

I have never hunted in my life. I grew up in Northern Michigan and have gone hunting for squirrels and what not with my Dad but I've never done it myself. I started traditional archery as a stress-reliever and all of a sudden I wanted to hunt. Like you, I wanted to hunt Turkeys but as it turns out - that is really hard to do because you need to call them in and shoot them and they are skittish as all hell!

Believe it or not, deer is actually better with a bow. I got my first this year from the ground - actually hiding behind a log in December lol. Its a trip to have game within 20 yards of you - which is really the most effective bow range. After shooting that deer I started small game hunting: squirrels and rabbits mostly. That is a blast and good eating!

I'm going to start bowfishing Suckers, Carp, and Gar in the summer!

Try it Lefty but do it with a traditional bow and not a compound. Its amazing.
bignick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:31 pm

"I'm going to start bowfishing suckers,carp...". On the other hand, THAT is not good eating, lol! Congrats on the coming baby, bigtime! It's really a sad statement on our consumerism when you can say that you are down to 3 guitars. But, we are what we are, eh...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:00 pm

bignick wrote:
Try it Lefty but do it with a traditional bow and not a compound. Its amazing.

Definately! I shoot with a longbow. Moved from a recurve with sights and stabilisers to a bare recurve, and now a longbow. It's more fun, and that's just target shooting!
Bournio
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:56 pm

I don't have the heart to kill a deer, or anything of that size, but I would love to bow hunt some carp! That would be sweet! :lol:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks Jeff. I know it is sad!!!!

I would love to be able to get down to just one guitar in a mandolin, but it is sooo hard to do when you play in standard tunings. The three I have now would be really hard to part with.

Same as my amp. I've got two - a 5watt all tube champ clone that is all point to point and a 72 Bassman that I recapped. I can't part with this. I also have the most ghetto speaker cabinet you will ever see.
bignick
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Nick, I think there is a point where you need to have some bases covered for different types of playing. Having said that, an old flat-top with a DeAarmond soundhole pickup will get you plenty of the blues. Hey, I don't even play guitar and I keep a 6-string flat top and a Squier Strat around for guests (I keep 'em dialed, too!) It is nice to have all the right tools, but beyond that .. we're jus' jerkin' ourselves off.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:30 pm

I have ten, and could ditch the three I don't play, except for sentimental value (which is quite high for two of the three), but after that it would be like selling my children*. The other seven all get played and I love them all.

*I'd sell yours pretty quick. :wha:
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:06 pm

One day I was sitting in the woods during deer season and thought "Why did I make the decision to hunt this way and want every gadget known to man for playing music?"

The alone time/reflection is one of the basic reasons I hunt.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues