Bryan Lee

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Bryan Lee

Postby JLHooker » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 pm

If you ever get a chance, give this guy a listen.He is very good.He's also totally blind.Bryan is from New orleans and played Bourbon St. Clubs for years.
Hooker
Attachments
DSCF0009.JPG
JLHooker
Regular

Re: Bryan Lee

Postby Neal » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:01 pm

I played with Bryan at an open jam in around '77 or '78. He stayed in Milwaukee, I was playing an old Gibson L-something or other (badly) and he commented on the guitar with the correct model, etc.. he's a gem.
Neal
Regular

Postby Laker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:56 am

I have played in Bryan's bands, off and on, from the mid 60s thru the late 70s and I can tell you that when it comes to playing the blues with a whole lot of heart and soul, this man is the real deal. Here's a shot of the two of us from New Year's Eve 1969.

Last edited by Laker on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laker
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Laker, Thanks for posting the early Bryan Lee pic.I have been a fan of his for a long time.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby Laker » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 am

JLH, Bryan has been a great friend for 50 years now; there aren't too many around that can say that are there. When me and my missus got married, Bryan was planned to be my "best man", but the wedding was during Mardi Gras and Bryan couldn't get out of playing at the Old Absinthe House...C'est la vie, eh?

Its so sad what they have done to that great old French Quarter bar.
Laker
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:48 pm

Laker, I went to New Orleans several times just to hear Bryan at the Old Absinthe House on Bourbon St.The last time I was there(before Katrina) ,I couldn't even find where it was.Bryan is still going strong though and has a good backup band.
Hooker
JLHooker
Regular

Postby Laker » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:07 pm

JLHooker wrote:Laker, I went to New Orleans several times just to hear Bryan at the Old Absinthe House on Bourbon St.The last time I was there(before Katrina) ,I couldn't even find where it was.Bryan is still going strong though and has a good backup band.
Hooker

Hooker, this year, during the week before and the week between Christmas and New Year's eve, Bryan and his lovely wife spent some time back here in Wisconsin visiting family and friends. My wife and I spent a very pleasant evening having dinner with them and then going through many of Bryan's band pictures going back to 1958. I knew many of the musicians in the pictures so we attempted to put names with all who were in Bryan's bands over the years. His memory is uncanny and those I couldn't place, once given the description of the person, Bryan would identify. Really a fun evening.

I don't know if you have seen Bryan's group with Brent Johnson on guitar. He's a smokin' player!!
Laker
Regular

Postby JLHooker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:44 pm

Is this Brent Johnson? I visited with this guy but I can't remember his name.He can really smoke those strings.
Attachments
DSCF0010.JPG
JLHooker
Regular

Postby Laker » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:25 am

JLHooker wrote:Is this Brent Johnson? I visited with this guy but I can't remember his name.He can really smoke those strings.

Yup, that's him...really an excellent player.
Laker
Regular

Return to Talking Blues