New stuff

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

New stuff

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:20 am

So I have recently acquired some new stuff. My newest Strat can be seen below. I think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere else. It's a Warmoth poplar body finished with stain and tru-oil, a Callaham assembly, A Texas Special and two Highway 1 pickups, and a right handed MIM neck.

Next to that would be my new Valve Junior stack. I took my Epiphone Triggerman, which I acquired early in my guitar playing days, and traded it in at Guitar Center for the Valve Junior cabinet. I ended up paying a total of $54 for the cabinet and the head was a gift for my birthday. I tried out several types of tubes in it today. Some Mullards, Brimars, GE, RCA, and various others. I never thought that a simple tube swap could make such a massive difference, but every tube I put it in there (they were all NOS from the 60's) made the amp sound vastly different.

Hopefully later this week I am going to be acquiring a Leslie cabinet as well.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Re: New stuff

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:19 am

Nice, I like the looks of that strat.

Which leslie are you picking up?
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:10 pm

Hey Lefty, would you give us your evaluation, about those tube changes.

"I tried out several types of tubes in it today. Some Mullards, Brimars, GE, RCA, and various others. I never thought that a simple tube swap could make such a massive difference, but every tube I put it in there (they were all NOS from the 60's) made the amp sound vastly different."-leftyguitarman
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:13 pm

guitarslim101 wrote:Nice, I like the looks of that strat.

Which leslie are you picking up?

Thanks! It's a 125 with an Eminence speaker in it.

Bill, each tube had its own voice, so to speak. The Brimar was the least gainy of all the 12ax7's I tried and it also produced the most rounded, mellow tone. Since the VJ doesn't have a tone control, it can be a little trebley sometimes, and the Brimar solved that problem. It sounded very musical with the Brimar and the Mullard. The Mullard came in a close second. It was still a bit trebley, but produced a great, smooth, breakup. I'm waiting for some money to transfer in to my PayPal account so I can get a Brimar tube. When I get it, I'll post some soundclips or a video demonstrating the difference.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Lefty, I've been tempted to blow some harp through Ampeg's answer to the Epi stack. My local music store's got one in stock. I'm not much for haulin' two pieces of gear when the job can be done with one (i.e., Fender reverb tanks) , but stacks do give you some flexibility. 'Sides.. they're cool lookin'. :lol:
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:06 pm

jeffl wrote:I'm not much for haulin' two pieces of gear when the job can be done with one (i.e., Fender reverb tanks) , but stacks do give you some flexibility. 'Sides.. they're cool lookin'. :lol:

Surprisingly, the head and can are very light. You could easily carry the head in one hand and the can in the other.

I swung through Sam Ash after class today and grabbed a Groove Tube 12AX7. I'm still waiting to get a Brimar, but I decided I'd try a Groove Tube as well.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 pm

Well done on the score there amigo. You've got gas as bad as I do! Dude, you gotta' get a clip or two up, especially with
the Leslie. With a name like that.....it's got to be killer!
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 pm

As soon as I get the Leslie, I'll record a demo for sure. I just took the head out of the chassey and put the Groove Tube in. Check all of the solderless connections to see why I had a volume loss after pulling it out of the box. Couldn't find anything wrong and it seems to work fine. The Groove Tube was a total waste of $17. I'll keep it around in case I ever have a tube failure or something, but it actually sounds worse than the stock Electro Harmonix 12ax7 that came in the head.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Well I took out the wire cutters and cut one of the jumpers out of the signal. Pretty much it ends up taking a 0.022 cap out of signal from the preamp tube. It caused the amp to get quite a bit clearer. Not a bad mod at all. Still waiting on the Brimar tube and the Leslie.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues