I don't have GAS...really I don't

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

I don't have GAS...really I don't

Postby 1armbandit » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:16 pm

The Rogue reso and the Madeira acoustic belong to my dad.
The Douglas Shadow (Rondo) I bought when I sold my Squire '51 and the Rogue acoustic/electric on the stand I got cheap so I wouldn't tear up the old acoustic anymore.
Rico commented that he was happy with the Rogue reso that he just got and I have to say that the two that I have are very good. The acoustic I have had for about 4 months and have played it and had others play it side by side with a Takimine and an Epiphone of the same style and both lacked the sound that it has. I picked it up on sale and had a 20% off coupon so it was less than $100. I love being cheap.
This is what the Missus gave yesterday for my birthday.
It is an XV-910 from Guitarfetish and it is beautiful. Plays like a dream.
Since I didn't buy it it doesn't count as a GAS attack right?
BTW she also painted the Sacred Heart artwork on my Douglas.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I don't have GAS...really I don't

Postby allanlummox » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:49 pm

That doesn't really look like Gas to me.

It looks like a pretty good musical work space to me.

All the satellite gear - the boards and stands and cables and all of it - is justified by how much you play the guitars.

As far as really special guitars goes, or examples of a favorite type, after a certain point it's a fetish, and something that gets in the way of appreciating the virtues of a particular instrument.

I think it's like cats - nothing wrong with having one. Or two. But the lady down the street with 7 cats is just plain nuts.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Wish my wife wanted to paint things on my "Douglas" :D

XV 910 - sounds like you should be riding it instead of playing it. Pretty though.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:29 pm

That last one looks great Bandito! I've always believed that a new instrument requires one to sit down and write a tune, jus' to explore the sounds. I can't afford a custom harp mic or a new amp right now, so I ordered a new rack light. :lol:
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Dan wrote:
I think it's like cats - nothing wrong with having one. Or two. But the lady down the street with 7 cats is just plain nuts.

So, if some guy had say, hypothetically speaking of course, oh, 18 guitars, a bass and a fiddle, a banjo, a mandolin, a lapsteel, a case of harps, but he can quit anytime, I mean really, I can , I mean HE can quit anytime. He's probably ok right?? right??
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 am

I don't know nuttin' about no fetishes, but I can tell you I've got all kinds of GAS!
stumblin
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:28 pm

maxx england wrote:Wish my wife wanted to paint things on my "Douglas" :D

XV 910 - sounds like you should be riding it instead of playing it. Pretty though.
Careful what you wish for. A friend of mine once came home to find his wife :twisted: had spray painted his vintage Gibson archtop jazz box, a not so charming silver. :shock: :wha:
I think she was a Kiss fan, back in those days.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Alton » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:36 pm

That XV-910 looks sweet! I groove on the P-90s. What prompted this reply though is that way cool speaker cab under your Epi Valve Jr. Looks like you used 6"x9" speakers. You should post some sound clips.
Alton
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:04 pm

Hey Jack, considering your strumming arm position, have you tried lap top guitars like square necks, lap steel and pedal steel? You probably have, what do you think?
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:52 pm

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Hey Jack, considering your strumming arm position, have you tried lap top guitars like square necks, lap steel and pedal steel? You probably have, what do you think?
Bill

The reso had a nut extension on it when I got it and I did try some slide then. I even tried picking left handed and sliding right handed. Wasn't amazed at my ability. :lol:

The reso is tuned open D now and the wife is playing a little lap steel along with me. No nut extension and using a Steven's Bar she isn't having any trouble with it banging on the frets. I've played a couple of tunes at our church jam with it and the only issue is the lack of volume from my pick. Loud enough to be heard though. No fretting just barring the chords. Working on getting a palm mute with my left hand, I like the sound that gets me.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Just remembered, I saw Richie Havens last November, he plays open tunings and barres the chords with his thumb across the neck. His style is all about rhythm and his singing, and he had a side man playing lead through a Gibson hollow body electric. I tried that thumb technique, it works good. I'll have to try more of that.
I've got a worn out thumb joint that gets sore real quick when I play conventional barre chords. I try to keep my thumb sticking out and only brace at it's base. I can play open chords with no problem.
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Buffalo_Bill wrote:Just remembered, I saw Richie Havens last November, he plays open tunings and barres the chords with his thumb across the neck. His style is all about rhythm and his singing, and he had a side man playing lead through a Gibson hollow body electric. I tried that thumb technique, it works good. I'll have to try more of that.
I've got a worn out thumb joint that gets sore real quick when I play conventional barre chords. I try to keep my thumb sticking out and only brace at it's base. I can play open chords with no problem.
Bill

I tried Freedom a week or so ago, never thought I'd get anywhere near that percussive strumming style of Havens'. After a couple of times through the wife came in and said from the other room it soundied like I was playing Freedom. Thats when I was working on the left hand palm muting thing. It really, really works the right shoulder.
Noteboat from the GN forum has worked with some handicapped players and sent my a couple of photos of himself doing an "A" shaped barre and an "E" shaped barre. I'm trying to work them into my playing. I play all the open chords that I need to get the song out but I want to be able to move around the fretboard more.

I even do some ho/po's to add a little flavor. And I have been trying to do some scales by tapping. Not warm and fuzzy with that yet, the new guit may be the right tool though.

It wouldn't help your thumb much but I have wondered for folks with wrist problems if playing the way that I do might get them back on the guitar. I move my wrist very little to fret the common chords.

Jack
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Equipment Blues