Fender Bassman Servicing

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Fender Bassman Servicing

Postby cobascis » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:12 am

I just picked up a '71 Bassman.

It has original caps, but I don't have dough to dish out for new ones right now so I just ordered:

-New power cord (the current one is 3 pronged, but it has holes in it... FIRE!)
-Tube guard thing (1 was missing) and 6L6 holders.
-Some new 12ax7s
-TOLEX for a handmade cab

I was wondering regard installing the power cable. Basically, I should just be able to desolder the 3 contacts and solder the new one in. Do I have to worry about getting killed by charges? I'm only working in a tiny part of the amp and soldering three things, surely I don't have to unplug it for weeks?

Also I'm looking for a good 4 OHM speaker to replace the 8 Ohm vintage JBL D120f that I'll be selling (anyone interested?).

Any advice is appreciated, pics if needed, ETC.
cobascis
Regular

Re: Fender Bassman Servicing

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:27 am

ricochet
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:26 pm

Nice link Rico

I read once that with the amp on & guitar plugged in, you can unplug the amp and keep playing as the amp and everything goes off and it will discharge enough to take it down from lethal levels. It may still give you a shock though.

Any truth to that ?

Cobasis, hopefully DRU LORE will chime in. He is an amp tech and very knowledgeable, sorry I didn't get to give him a welcome when he recently signed up here. I've read some of his stuff over on the vintageamp/plexi forums. I spent alot of time over there asking questions & advise when I got my bassman last summer prior to redoing that amp. Those guys over there can tell you anything you want to know about your amp.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:36 pm

birddog wrote:Nice link Rico

I read once that with the amp on & guitar plugged in, you can unplug the amp and keep playing as the amp and everything goes off and it will discharge enough to take it down from lethal levels. It may still give you a shock though.

Any truth to that ?

Yes, it'll partially discharge the caps like that. I recommend reading and observing the safety precautions on the above linked site.
ricochet
Regular

Postby cobascis » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:12 pm

birddog wrote:Nice link Rico

Any truth to that ?

Cobasis, hopefully DRU LORE will chime in. He is an amp tech and very knowledgeable, sorry I didn't get to give him a welcome when he recently signed up here. I've read some of his stuff over on the vintageamp/plexi forums. I spent alot of time over there asking questions & advise when I got my bassman last summer prior to redoing that amp. Those guys over there can tell you anything you want to know about your amp.

Wally

If you made a thread about the bassman, mind posting the link? Thanks.
cobascis
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Sure, its on the Equipment Blues page.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10467

Here's a link to the amp forum. Go to the Fender page and do some bassman searches, loads of info there.

http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/index.php

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby cobascis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:31 am

That is fantastic!

So you replaced the chassis? Or just covered over the old faceplate?

Either way, it looks AWESOME.

I got the '71 for $250 shipped, it was filthy, but I spent a few hours cleaning it. It's in great nick apart from a tolex tear.

It is one of the models just labeled 'Bassman (R)," which I haven't seen many of.

What glue did you use on the tweed? I'm tolexing a cab and have read various things about the 3M glue.

Anyway, I've been inspired by your project :lol:
cobascis
Regular

Postby birddog » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Same chassis, had a friend redo the caps & pots and some other things which he won't tell.
Pot, capacitors, tweed, grille cloth, tolex glue, knobs, pilot lamp and most of the goodies I ordered through
tubesandmore.com
Face Plate and leather handle came from Marsh amps, he is the only one I could find a face plate from.
I recommend using & getting a small bottle of the Tolex glue from tubesandmore, its water based, easy clean up, no toxic fumes and it gives you more working time and you can pull it back up if you don't get your material straight the first try. I only used about a 1/4 to 1/3 if the small bottle so I got enough left to do a nice 1 x 12 cab hopefully soon.

good luck with your project.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues