THD Hot Plate Advice Needed

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

THD Hot Plate Advice Needed

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 pm

To begin with, I'm a complete lop when in the areas of electrics and electronics. That having been said, here is my need for some knowledgeable input regarding adding a THD Hot Plate to my Peavey Delta Blues.

I'm a chronic insomniac and often I'm up in the middle of the night noodling on my Les Paul running through a Delta Blues. Even though my "so called" music room is in the opposite end of the house I can't get the volume low enough to avoid disrupting my bride's sleep, and even when I try to lower the volume I tend to lose the tonal effects of the amp. I contacted Peavey and their customer support recommended I consider adding a THD Hot Plate. As I began to research this, to say I'm confused would be generous. I talked to two local authorized Peavey repair shops and in both cases didn't get a good feeling about the tech's knowledge of this product and what installation requirements are needed. So, I'm throwing this out to the forum in hopes that someone has an electronics background and can educate me regarding this; specificically, is this a device that has to be "hard wired" into the amp, or is it just a plug in device.

Any and all feed back is most appreciated.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Re: THD Hot Plate Advice Needed

Postby birddog » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:47 pm

To the best of my knowlege they are a plug in device. Needs to be same Ohm rating as your amp.
Check out Weber, they make their own and save a few bucks.
Call them or email with any questions.

http://www.tedweber.com/

The only other thing I can tell ya is go to Guitar Center and try one out & see if its what you are looking for.

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:06 pm

Birddog, thanks mucho for the feed back. Just as an update, I spoke with an Amp Tech in Florida who said it was, in fact, a "hard wired" mod. Before I jump, however, I'm going to do my home work. Again thanks.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:22 am

The Hot Plate (or any other attenuator) is just a plug-in piece of kit unless the internal speaker doesn't have a removable connector, in which case it's a very simple mod.

The simple mod is simply: taking the wire that connects the speaker to the amp, disconnecting it at the speaker end, and replacing the spades with a plug. Then make a speaker wire with a jack at one end and spades at the other.

Amplifier -> attenuator -> plug & spade wire -> speaker(s).

Does this make sense?

Oh, and make sure the amp is off before trying any of this, or even attaching the attenuator.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby 601blues » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:12 pm

I use a simple female coupling available at Radioshack i keep several around ,to connect 2 guitar cables together mic cables etc, Anyway un plug you speaker jack add coupler and add a speaker jumper to out on THD :blink: then add a jumper from amp speaker out to in on THD,
NOW most important MAKE DARN SURE JUMPERS ARE UNSHIELDED CABLES guitar or instrument cables will not work they are shielded, and will cause your amp to over heat when used in the output stage
Rule...Shielded in Unshielded out
601blues
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 am

I had a phone conversation with a guy at Weber and frankly I was very impressed. If I proceed with this idea, I still plan on having an amp tech do it for me. I tend to be very dangerous around electrics and electronics. A good example of this was the time I was welding metal legs onto a plate fabricating a stand for a bench top milling machine. I had one foot on the steel and another foot in a puddle of water. I think that was the second time I saw Jesus! Oh another thing the Weber attenuator is far more cost efficient than the THD to boot.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby birddog » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Let us know how it works out Doc.
Its on my list of thought about things, Your input may be the push I need to actually write it on the list. 8)

Wally
birddog
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Well, the attenuator saga continues. I'm leaning towards the Weber and after talking with them yet again, they have a harness for and extra $15.00 US that allows the attenuator to be unplugged if you don't need it, say like taking the amp to a jam session or a gig. In the interim, my wife discovered church pews for sale from our Parish that date back at least 150 years and she's hell bent on getting one, so there goes part of my money I had stashed away for my gear. We're picking it up tomorrow.

I've got a couple of non music related items I'm putting up on Craig's list and if they sell, then I'll be good to go. The wife says I need to "master" the guitar before I buy any more gear, but try as I have, I can't seem to convince her that "mastering" an instrument, at least for me, isn't very realistic, given my age, etc.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 pm

She means that in her opinion it's unrealistic for you to expect to buy any more gear in your lifetime, I imagine.
ricochet
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:55 pm

The wife says I need to "master" the guitar before I buy any more gear, but try as I have, I can't seem to convince her that "mastering" an instrument, at least for me, isn't very realistic, given my age, etc.

LMAO :lol:
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Doc wrote:they have a harness for and extra $15.00 US that allows the attenuator to be unplugged if you don't need it, say like taking the amp to a jam session or a gig.

Er. I'm confused. I should snap a picture of my attenuator setup. I'll even plug it into a combo amp. They couldn't be easier to unhook already (I own a Weber).

amplifier -> speaker wire #1 -> attenuator -> speaker wire #2 -> speaker

If you want to remove the attenuator, turn everything off, unplug wire #1 from the amp, unplug wire #2 from the attenuator, and plug wire #2 into the amp. Turn it on.

amplifier -> speaker wire #2 -> speaker
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Bant's Bluz » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:38 pm

ricochet wrote:She means that in her opinion it's unrealistic for you to expect to buy any more gear in your lifetime, I imagine.

Rico my Friend, I'm sad to say that you are probably spot on! Wives are an odd lot, but it took me a long time to find her and I'm willing to bend to her will. Well, within reason anyway.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:46 pm

I've got one, too.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues