I'll miss Your Lies.

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

I'll miss Your Lies.

Postby Slacker G » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:21 am

I'll miss Your Lies.

I was on a forum and peeps were telling about how long it has been since they recorded.
I also had to join in with my lack of inspiration. But something happened. We all got inspired for some reason or other.

This is a blues song. More like Blues with heavy country roots. It could even pass as Rock A Billy? ( I threw in a nose yodel on the bridge to appease the country folk.) It may or may not stay when I record this for real.

I think it could get a bass line and a harp later. When I find someone who wants to get involved. It is all played on my new Fusha Strat with Carvin pickups and a Telecaster neck. But the Strat is powerful enough to hold it's own for now. I may need to re do the lead lines later. Just a modeler pre amp, no pedals. Slight echo and rvb on the Modeler. This is the first go round on this song.
All the various sounds come from the selector switch positions,

I recorded the vocals with a MXL 4ooo Mike. No compressor, and I ran it through an El Cheapo Behringer Zenyx 1202FX board into the DAW.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8624066
Slacker G
Regular

Re: I'll miss Your Lies.

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Good song, Slacker!
ricochet
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 pm

ricochet,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and post. I'm sure glad you liked it. :) That song came together really fast. Then it started "morphing" into something other than what it started out to be. Some guys said I should add a bass line to it, and I played along with it last night. It works with a bass, so now I guess I need to figure out something that isn't distractive. I tend to over play on bass sometimes.
Thanks again. :D
Slacker G
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:44 pm

Hey there,
I like it! it's pretty nice and simple, I love the Sprechstimme thing with the vocals.

I have no idea what I'd do for it as a bassist, nor a not very good harmonica player :P
Bournio
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:13 am

Bournio wrote:Hey there,
I like it! it's pretty nice and simple, I love the Sprechstimme thing with the vocals.

I have no idea what I'd do for it as a bassist, nor a not very good harmonica player :P

Bournio,

The check will be in the mail on the first. :mrgreen: When someone can handle my vocals, and I am mega insecure about them, I get bolder all the time. Every good comment on them encourages me to do more. That could be a warning to many viewing this thread in secret. :wha:

On the downside, I'll have to spend some time on Google to find out what Sprechstimme is.

Maybe a blues bassist will browse and see this. He would have an idea.

If I do the straight bass, this turns into a country more than blues thing. And I'm pushing country anyway with the lead guitar a good deal of the time. So I can't go any further in that direction if I can help it. Blues or Rockabilly. I can take either since the old rockabilly guys stole much of their material from the blues guys.
Slacker G
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:42 pm

accidental duplication, see post below. :oops:
Last edited by Buffalo_Bill on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Boy, when I read the title I thought maybe you were quiting this site… :lol:
I'm a bassist, you're playing the bass line through the song, you're singing at the same time, and shoving in little riffs, so you sound a mite busy/overworked.
You could record the tracks one at a time beginning with the bass, then you could sing and play a different guitar line, or sing as you record the bass, then ad a guitar track later. That would put some space in the recording you could work within. The different instrument voices would also make the sound full and yet have spacial separation.
No way this would morph into a country song after you layed down a 12 bar bass track. That boogie bass pattern is a classic/standard used allot, as in “Big Boss Man” by Jimmy Reed.
2¢ by Bill :mrgreen:
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Slacker G wrote:
Bournio wrote:
The check will be in the mail on the first. :mrgreen: When someone can handle my vocals, and I am mega insecure about them, I get bolder all the time. Every good comment on them encourages me to do more. That could be a warning to many viewing this thread in secret. :wha:

On the downside, I'll have to spend some time on Google to find out what Sprechstimme is.

Sorry, I've got too much music theory... sprechstimme is literally Speak-song or voice, it's pretty self explanatory, somewhere between speaking and singing...

I'll look out for the cheque :P
Bournio
Regular

Postby Slacker G » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:35 am

Bournio wrote:Sorry, I've got too much music theory... sprechstimme is literally Speak-song or voice, it's pretty self explanatory, somewhere between speaking and singing...

I'll look out for the cheque :P

Ah ha! (The master of anti musical theory thinks to himself ) Now is the time to strike, while he is still off guard. :twisted:

Bill,

I'm not playing a bass line at all. I am using my finger nail ( By my naughty finger, also known by some as their stinky finger ) as a pick on the Left side doing the thumpy thumpy thingy.

While on the right side I am just "Gettin down wif my own bad self". :wha:

The deal is that I do not wish to even lose one note. I just want to get some bottom end for the sake of a few musicians who want to hear it that way. I was looking for something complimentary, perhaps just dropping well placed bass notes on the sonic picture I have already painted. I need something outside the box, so to speak.

I do appreciate your input and suggestions, and the time you took to listen. 8)
Slacker G
Regular

Return to Recording